Hero raises to $0.16, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.16, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.38, 2 players) J:diamond: 7:heart: 9:heart:
      Hero bets $0.20, BTN calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.78, 2 players) 4:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.44, BTN calls $0.44

River: ($1.66, 2 players) Q:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.79, fold

BTN wins $1.58

I really hate this situation a pair out of Position maybe I should jus give up a street earlier.
  • 2 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      Very interesting hand.

After BTN calls and calls your cbet, you should have a clear idea about his range. For average players, it is Jx or a heart FD. Whether AJ/combo draws/monster draws are possible here depends on the read.

The turn 4d does not complete the FD. It would be a good idea to check and see what BTN does. And BTN's action should pretty much define his range further. If he checks behind then you know he's on a draw. If he bet then you can put him on a Jx, or a float attempt.

I prefer to check/raise turn. If villain checks behind then we have a small pot to go to the river. If villain bets I raise, just to fold draws and float attempts and make Jx's life miserable. If villain flats the raise then I would bet out big on any river (heart or non-heart).

On the river it is even more interesting. The Qd completes a backdoor flush draw and pairs the Q which is well in villain's range. If you had checked turn you can either make a block bet or play check/fold here as the pot is small.

However as played, the BTN's value bet on the river just looks weak to me. It is most likely that he paired his Q and wanted to value bet but at the same time concerned about QJ or straight or backdoor flush.

It may sound sick especially in micros but I would check-raise push here. We can present tons of monster on this board and the push will look so damn strong that villain with any Q, even QJ would consider himself crushed.
    • MaestroOfZerg

I think your line is fine if he's a passive fish, since then he'll have enough random draws on the turn to make up for the times you valuecut yourself against higher pairs. Less so if he's a regular, most of the time he'll show up with some Jx hand that he's not folding, or 9x with a gutshot, I don't mind check/folding against them I don't expect them to bet much except Jx which we're pretty close to dead against. If he's somewhere inbetween like a weak passive reg it's whatever.

The river is odd. I don't really expect villain to be capable of valuebetting a lone Jx pair on that card too often, maybe if he's decent KJ/AJ, and it's kinda hard for him to have Qx after calling two streets unless he played QT passively or has exactly QJ, but he's indeed probably bet those on that river. Hard to say, since he's unknown I'd probably just check/fold until I know better, his bluffing range might not even exist. Check/calling is okay given odds if you know he can bluff.

While I do agree that it's a decent spot to go ahead and check/raise (sometimes a better line than check/calling since you'll beat both his bluffs and his value bet/folding range that way), I just expect way too many players to talk themselves into bet/calling just because your line looks funky or they have top pair..! So I wouldn't try that at these stakes without reads.

Hope it helps.