How to play these types of players..

• SSSC2NV
      SSSC2NV
      Bronze
      Guys, first off.. I think I might pull my whole roll from Merge and move to another site.. possibly back to FTP, unless someone has a better suggestion for where to put my roll.

Anyways, I am an NL50/NL100 player and I seem to keep running into the same type of player.. night in and night out.

The type is this:
      - limps 60-80% of their hands pre flop
      - Flat calls a pre flop raise after their limp
      - Checks flop
      - Calls flop bet
      - Checks turn
      - Calls LARGE turn bet (large enough that would put 90% of players out unless they had a better hand)
      - bets on the river

Shows: 2 pair, flush, straight, trips EVERYTIME!!!!

I dont know how this is possible, its absolutely sickening to me. I've bet so big, including pushing all in on the flop/turn with hands like 2 pair, sets and these idiots donk call, hitting flushes and straights... I just dont know what to do anymore!

Another big one that I have seen more recently is guys on FD's, calling ANY size bet, praying they hit their flush.

After cooling down and reviewing my hands, I've found that 90% of the time I've personally made the right play, maybe could of laid down the better hand knowing these guys and how they play...

What do I do, continue playing MY GAME and know that variance will kick in and demolish these guys? Or is there a way to adapt and modify my game to get the upper hand?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Jeff
  • 15 replies
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      I can't speak to your question about how to play those guys, but I can speak to Merge. First off, I loved their software but I was playing the same people ALL THE TIME. So I wanted to change sites. I had my roll on one of their sites and it was a hassle to get my money. It took a month, and that was three attempts and numerous little roadblocks / hassles along the way. And I am NOT someone who isn't careful. I had ALL my paperwork in order from the beginning.

I have never had ANY issues AT ALL cashing out from FT.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      play for value

play tight

fold to weird reraises

make sure you have a big enough bankroll

play villain as much as possible

take all his money

:s_cool:
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      play for value

play tight

fold to weird reraises

take all his money

???

Profit

FYP
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      I'd say try to stop being money oriented... That's where all we suffer I think but best players..
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Wait, you play nl100 and everyones a megawhale playing 60-80%vpip and never folding postflop? I think I gotta switch rooms :f_p:
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      Originally posted by conall88
      play for value

play tight

fold to weird reraises

take all his money

???

Profit

FYP
      you forgot about collecting underpants :)
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      well we call these people fish and when they dont hit there dead money =[
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      well we call these people fish and when they dont hit there dead money =[
      play more hands and youll wish theres more of em
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Funny thing that I found this text a few days ago:

Less common at uNL, but increasingly common at higher levels (and deadly-dangerous when they do it right) is the Loose Passive preflop /Tight Aggressive postflop: this player is a total calling station idiot preflop. You'll often see preflop numbers of 75/11 or 68/6 for these folks. Don't fall for it! It's a ruse. These folks are splashing around in as many pots as they can as cheaply as they can, and then postflop they play POKER. They'll be folding a tremendous fraction of the time on the flop, escaping for 1 BB, but when they hit it will be with something sneaky-as-hell and solid-solid-solid. They then go into aggro mode, betting incredibly hard and relying on unobservant TAGs to call them down lighter because "hey, this idiot is 72/7, my TP3K dominates his range." They stack more TAGs than you and I could ever hope to, because their image gets them mad phat postflop action.

This is about NL50+ so you just might have been hit by some of those guys.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      lol i can't remember what book that was from... i remember the book itself was ok then i read that and was like "k this author is a retard"
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      it's true to some extent though, some 70 VPIP players are massively loose postflop and some are somewhat solid postflop. the latter type has often stacked me with random 2 pair vs TP, but that's just because i was too retarded to adjust
    • SSSC2NV
      SSSC2NV
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies guys, the advice has helped me achieve a better success rate against them. I find myself more conscious of these types of players - which I am actually seeing more of these days! Maybe its a new breed of player on the rise? I do my best to play tighter against them, and throw out fewer cbets without a made hand (the result of seeing that most will catch a small pair or a FD/SD and always take the turn card to see if it improves their hand.. even if the correct odds/value isnt there). Checking behind and taking a free turn card has really helped me in this position. My stats show that I am extracting less money from them than the rest of the table, which is better than losing :)

All in all, I have made some SERIOUS progress in the last couple of weeks, really bringing my game to a more competitive level, thinking about decisons before I make them, being patient and looking for "spots" instead of trying to create spots. Some of my biggest pots have been because I've limped with a marginal hand with GREAT value and caught what I needed. Of course, thats not always the case, but a good example of where I am consciously looking for a good spot to make a move.

Another good thing, I've now started to play 2 different sites at the same time (FTP and a Merge Network). Finding that this keeps my BR split, luck swings up and down less affected, and the best part - I can request withdrawls from both at the same time.. allowing me to stagger so I have money coming in every day or 2.

All in all, life is getting better and I can see the possibility of poker becoming more than its current "addiction".. who knows what the future holds!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Sounds like a site to print money to me. Whew! Gl and trynot to go broke with TPmidK vthem. :)
    • SSSC2NV
      SSSC2NV
      Bronze
      Thanks bud...

FYI... TPmK against them, I'm not being too agro - applied new personal rules to my play that disallow me to invest too much in those situations - save it for the truly profitable ones.
    • NatRPheM
      NatRPheM
      Bronze
      Thanks for the info Ill be looking out for players like these even though I dont use a hud to se stats I notice how people play preflop slightly more than I do postflop, have been noticing some strange things lately though. That is at 3.30 double stack KO turbo`s. I guess Ill look through a few HHs to see whats going on lately.

Thanks again for the heads up!