anyone crushing nl5 BSS 40-250bb tables?

• Xiven

I've been playing on nl5 BSS 40-250bb tables for a while I'm a slightly profitable player, I find the level of play here to be higher for the most part than i would expect to find at the micro stakes.

I'm wondering if anyone is really crushing these tables and if so if they have any tips :)

While there are bad players I find the majority of the tables to be quite tight. A lot of set mining is going on. I have trouble building pots with premium hands , it seems like whenever i get 4bet with Kings, they have Aces.

I guess I read other people's blogs and expect the micro's to be different than what i am experiencing with villains pushing ridiculous stupid hands when you have the nuts.

I find the aggression factor between factor between nl 5 and nl10 to be hugely different.

In before learn to table select/play better :)
  • 9 replies
    • Zyklox
      Well here is my graph for a challenge i had with a friend, ran pretty well but still played good. Not such a large sample, but decent:

• Wriggers
      I beat it for around 20k hands at 12bb/100, so it's not that hard to beat. I set mined quite a lot and targetted the nits when blind stealing.
    • joecar
      3.62BB/100 (16,903 hands)
    • Shakalis
      Give me please a tip or advice how to beat NL 5 easy ? I am curent playing these limit , but i got it hard to beat NL 5....
    • oedipa
      There is no easy way to beat limit :)
      it is easy to be breakeven, but if you want to be a winning player, you have to try your best.
      So, read a lot of articles, try to understand them and use the knowledge in your game, watch a lot of videos, attend coachings, review your sessions and post uncertain hands :)
    • joecar
      Originally posted by Shakalis
      Give me please a tip or advice how to beat NL 5 easy ? I am curent playing these limit , but i got it hard to beat NL 5....
      The more effort you put in to improve your game the greater the outcome
    • SiXAT
      Have you tried beat it while multitabling? If i go up a limit i usualy play only one table and my best.
      I find pretty easy limit to beat players are still stupid and annoying with their stupidity, you can be winning even just by playing nitty but if you mix it up once in a while or win by some fishy way so you spoil your image you will see even the regulars pay you off big not only the fish.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      Just take the piss out of players weakness's. Simples.
    • Hopey
      The players are bad and do make stupid all in Q high calls, but it's a bit of a myth that every player does that. I got out of NL5 and am doing ok in NL10 (I agree about the aggresion factor changing between the limits) and I have to say the change really happened when I stopped trying to "outplay" the bad players. A bad player seriously doesnt care that you have fired 3 barrels on a board with 3 hearts, a pair, and straight possibilities; they have top pair and they aren't going anywhere. Another thing I found profitable was changing from 9max to 6max, at 6max tables you can really use you edge to crush the poor players- to be frank I don't think its hard for a very poor player to 4+ table 9max and play really tight hoping for a pay-off, when I played it I think a lot of people did that.

Anyway try 6max- it really forces players you have a good edge over into hands with you. Play loads of hands in position, even complete garbage; often you can see a flop for like 15cents and if you hit your two pair, or straight, or flush you can value bet the hell out of fish who won't fold things like top pair. There is a good thread about online material micro players have to read- in the thread is someone's guide to 6max, read that and some of the atricles that apply to SH games on here and then hit the tables.

A couple of more specific tips:

Raise people's conti-bets (in fact any raise on the flop), I'm pretty sure most of the conti-bets you see at NL10 are with total air (obviously unless there is a strong possibility that they are portecting their hand).

Micro stakes players LOVE to slowplay, so be wary of them checking on the flop.

Play very aggressively, especially pre-flop. Raise a lot- even from early position (6max here), the players are bad but most are aware of position. You do not want everyone to fold when you get AA under the gun. Yes sometimes you will lead out with suited connectors and be called by 2 players or 3bet, but it's definitely plus EV+ to have an a sort of LAG(y) image- even if you aren't playing that way. The way to beat the micro-limit is to ensure you get action with your big hands and don't bluff chips away with weak hands.

When you hit top pair with a good kicker you can usually get players to bluff away a lot of their stack trying to represent the hand you have. If you are in position with top pair and someone bets into you, just smoothcall (contrary to what i said earlier). A lot of players will fire a 2nd and maybe 3rd barrel with total air or a lower pair.

They are some of my observations. Sorry about the essay- someone else can come along and flame all my stupid recomendations now. Post something on my blog if you have anymore questions/want to do a sweat session or something.

I should probably add that I play mainly at Full Tilt, but from what I've heard the micro cash games are pretty similar on both sites.