$5.80
      BU:
      $1.03
      SB (Hero):
      $1.99
      BB:
      $1.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, T.
      4 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.06) J, K, 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.04, BB folds, MP3 calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.14) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, MP3 calls $0.08.

River: ($0.3) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.18, MP3 raises to $0.84, Hero ?

He just limped so after postflop call I puted him on FD, maybe weak king or jack. So I decided to make second barrel. After blank turn I just continued. Should i check/fold river?
  • 2 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I'd say it depends heavily on the type of player MP3 is. Because at these stakes most people either play far too loose or far too tight, you need to adapt your playing style quite heavily for either one. Very few people play standard ABC poker correctly. If he's tight, he's limping here with pocket pairs, and he'd throw them away on that flop (with two overcards) most of the time, otherwise he'd go for a bluff raise, not just call you down. Therefore if he's tight you can assume you're beat on the turn and shut down. On the river i'd make a block bet then fold to a reraise against the tight guy.

Against the loose players who limp with any two, I like check-calling the flop, as they'll often take a stab here with most hands (when they limp with weak holdings it's in the hope of everyone but the blinds folding and then them taking it away post flop. At least on titan where i play, a high percentage of the time they'll raise if it's checked to them.) As played, they could have a wide range of cards on the turn. I put the average lunatic on 22+, A2s+ (any suit), K2s+, Q9s+, J9s+ (assuming they wouldn't limp with weaker jacks pre), 76s, 65s, AJo+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo once he's called your flop raise. Probably wildly inaccurate, but they are definitely calling with hands that completely fluffed just because of the frequency they call in spots like these, so i attributed those crazed calls to suited aces. Against this range you have 51% equity, so checking and calling any raise smaller than pot is the correct play. Trying to keep the pot small. As played they'll call the turn only with cards that hit, usually. I put them on a range now of 66+, AJs+, A6s, K2s+, QTs+, J9s+, 76s, 65s, AKo, AJo, K9o+, QTo+, JTo (ie any pair or higher). On the river you hit your two pair, giving you 70% equity against their range, so you should raise. They put in a huge reraise, which they'd do with any two pair or better, slowplayed aces and strong kings and maybe the occasional bluff like QT of spades or something. A range of KK+, JJ-TT, 66, AKs, KTs+, K6s, K4s, QTs, JTs, AKo, AJo, KJo-KTo, JTo gives you equity of 55% so you should call on the end.

Without the maths, it's pretty intuitive that you should fold that against a guy who only plays trips and the occasional top pair top kicker, and call against a guy who bluffs alot. If you don't know who he is, it's normally best to assume he's the tight guy to avoid going on tilt when you see his KK.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by fryandspicy
      I'd say it depends heavily on the type of player MP3 is. Because at these stakes most people either play far too loose or far too tight, you need to adapt your playing style quite heavily for either one. Very few people play standard ABC poker correctly. If he's tight, he's limping here with pocket pairs, and he'd throw them away on that flop (with two overcards) most of the time, otherwise he'd go for a bluff raise, not just call you down. Therefore if he's tight you can assume you're beat on the turn and shut down. On the river i'd make a block bet then fold to a reraise against the tight guy.

Against the loose players who limp with any two, I like check-calling the flop, as they'll often take a stab here with most hands (when they limp with weak holdings it's in the hope of everyone but the blinds folding and then them taking it away post flop. At least on titan where i play, a high percentage of the time they'll raise if it's checked to them.) As played, they could have a wide range of cards on the turn. I put the average lunatic on 22+, A2s+ (any suit), K2s+, Q9s+, J9s+ (assuming they wouldn't limp with weaker jacks pre), 76s, 65s, AJo+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo once he's called your flop raise. Probably wildly inaccurate, but they are definitely calling with hands that completely fluffed just because of the frequency they call in spots like these, so i attributed those crazed calls to suited aces. Against this range you have 51% equity, so checking and calling any raise smaller than pot is the correct play. Trying to keep the pot small. As played they'll call the turn only with cards that hit, usually. I put them on a range now of 66+, AJs+, A6s, K2s+, QTs+, J9s+, 76s, 65s, AKo, AJo, K9o+, QTo+, JTo (ie any pair or higher). On the river you hit your two pair, giving you 70% equity against their range, so you should raise. They put in a huge reraise, which they'd do with any two pair or better, slowplayed aces and strong kings and maybe the occasional bluff like QT of spades or something. A range of KK+, JJ-TT, 66, AKs, KTs+, K6s, K4s, QTs, JTs, AKo, AJo, KJo-KTo, JTo gives you equity of 55% so you should call on the end.

Without the maths, it's pretty intuitive that you should fold that against a guy who only plays trips and the occasional top pair top kicker, and call against a guy who bluffs alot. If you don't know who he is, it's normally best to assume he's the tight guy to avoid going on tilt when you see his KK.
      Sounds good, except the "avoid going on tilt" part, it shouldn't affect your decisions on its own unless it's the only way you can avoid it.