AQ Early Position and Stage

• THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      So in early position (UTG) and stage of a SnG how do you play AQ in low stakes? The starting hands chart says to fold in early position. I think just folding is a pretty weak play, I think raising maybe 3.5bb and folding to a re-raise would be better. What do you think?
  • 5 replies
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      You can afford to fold if it's early - better situations will surely come up.

Even if you know it's a weak table and you decide to bet, you have to be willing to let it go postflop if someone shows strength so you might as well stick to the chart instead of leaking chips.

Also: depends if it's 9 or 6 handed.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I think AQo should be profitable 4 off the button, but not necessarily 6 off the button. I tend to play it UTG, but it is at best marginally profitable.

AK+ JJ+ is about a 3% range. With 8 players acting after you, you can estimate that the chance that someone else has a premium hand is about 3 x 3% = 24%. This is a slight overestimate, in part because when you hold AQ, you block some combinations of QQ, AA, and AK. However, it does show how dangerous it can be to act in front of 8 players rather than only a few. In addition, when you raise in early position, it is much more likely that someone will flat-call with position on you. Even if AQ is ahead, that does not mean you recover your raise on average, since it is tough to play out of position.

I think what you do with AQo UTG 9-handed is not so important. However, if you know that it is reasonable to fold AQo 6 off the button, then this should help you to fold AJo there.
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      I think AQo should be profitable 4 off the button, but not necessarily 6 off the button. I tend to play it UTG, but it is at best marginally profitable.

AK+ JJ+ is about a 3% range. With 8 players acting after you, you can estimate that the chance that someone else has a premium hand is about 3 x 3% = 24%. This is a slight overestimate, in part because when you hold AQ, you block some combinations of QQ, AA, and AK. However, it does show how dangerous it can be to act in front of 8 players rather than only a few. In addition, when you raise in early position, it is much more likely that someone will flat-call with position on you. Even if AQ is ahead, that does not mean you recover your raise on average, since it is tough to play out of position.

I think what you do with AQo UTG 9-handed is not so important. However, if you know that it is reasonable to fold AQo 6 off the button, then this should help you to fold AJo there.
      Thanks :) . I think ill fold AQ UTG now. Because on top of that 24% even if someone calls with a worse hand and we both miss the board, they hardly ever fold to c bets on low limits even if they have nothing. Which makes it even harder to play.
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      AQo with low blinds is easily foldable in early positions, AQs however is usually a raise.
    • nitaidean
      nitaidean
      Bronze
      Yeah, I also draw the line there: suited, I raise, offsuit, I fold