This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Hello Pokerplayers! Here is my poker story..

• Tressman316
      Tressman316
      Bronze
      Tressman316 here. I am a Norwegian man of the age 34.
      I have only been playing poker for 3 years, and only online so far.
      I started when i was 31 at the most fun poker site in my oppinion; PKR.com.
      I started with only playing for fun with play- money, and freerolls until i managed to increase the 1000 starting stack of play-money into 15000. (Oh how i wish it was real money...he he)

I then figured I should put in some real money, and try it out. I played only tournaments and sit and go´s (I was afraid of the cash games, and still are..) I did not have a lot of luck until October 4th 2009. I was playing in a tournament called "$20,000 GTD Sunday Open" the buy in was only $25, but still it was not more than 858 players. I played solid tight aggressive poker only top 10-20 starting hands I really got lucky only two key times; I almost tripled up on the bubble with a straight against two people who had two pair. Then I had enough to sit back, relax and wait for the finale table. At the finale table I had a medium stack, and I got lucky again with a straight against two people. I then had 4 times the stack of the three people that was left. I just sat back and waited until I was heads up. And after 10 hands or so heads up... I won the 1. price of 4719$!

I was smart enough to withdraw 4000$, and left 719$ in my bankroll at PKR. I continued to play tournaments, but my god.. I have never seen such a huge amount of bad beats...he he.. that 719$ was gone in 14 days.. hehe.

I figured I should start playing at other sites, so I played at Pokerstars and Full Tilt, but I have never managed to win again. Bad beat city for over a year now..

Maybe I play to tight now, and overplay my big hands against the donkeys.. But when I loose with AA all in pre-flop race to all kinds of donkey hands 7 out of 10 times... Or if I manage to triple up my starting stack early in a tournament; I always go completely card dead for an hour. Then I get KK or someting with 4-5 big blinds left, go all in and some donk knocks me out with everything from 8 4 off to A 2 off.

Since that magical day a year ago, I have not played in one big tournament where I have not been unlucky. Its becoming ridiculous. All I ask for is a normal amount of luck to go with solid play. But it seems impossible to me now.

The closest I got was a qualify (One pack guarantied) to WSOP Main event 2010 at pokerstars. It was late at night (early in the morning here in Norway, so it was only 350 players. I reached the final table, and went completely card dead the whole final table. I got down to the finale 3 players. and one of the players started to go all in every hand. The best hand I got the whole final table was Q 10. I mean WTF!

But I will not give up. It has to turn around some time, right?

Thank you for reading my post.

Sincerly

Tressy T.
      Aka Tressman316 aka Tressmania aka TheTressman
  • 1 reply
    • smoothazeros
      smoothazeros
      Bronze
      welcome to pokerstrategy!
      Maybe it was bad luck or maybe it was just the way you were playing.
      I highly recomend you study the articles on Sit and Go/tournaments from basic to platinum and I guarentee that you will really start to profit.
      As for cash games, I was once scared of them too... Until I studied FL and how to play properly enabling me to make a profit.
      It's really important that you learn how to do Bankroll Management and when you play cash games make sure you at least go into a limit that you can do 300 Big Bets to.
      For example,when playing $0.15/$0.30 stakes, you should at the minimum have $90