Should you block Facebook at work?

• funfunfunfun
      Some companies do it because it's considered an entertainment site, security hazard, or something not work-related. Other companies consider Facebook an essential part of marketing-- to network with others. What do you think?
  • 11 replies
    • Joenaes
      If I was an employer I would want to have fb at work.

If I was a boss I'd block fb at work :D
    • zhorzh
      I work in the IT Security department in our company and we block only Facebook chat.
      We wanted to block the whole domain but were facing such a revolt from our business users, that we allowed it in the end.
      It is a risk, but if people start quiting their jobs because they feel they are being monitored and controlled on their jobs then you have not achieved anything have you?
    • tcs35
      There is no point blocking sites like these in today's environment. People have cell phones, music players that can access the internet and everyone is aware of proxies/vps/vpns, etc. You just make it more difficult for them to access it
    • Cardbender
      I have facebook and I fn hate it! I feel its way to invasive! sucks i need it to \keep in touch with people. "I had four people in the bar tell me to fn facebook em tonight...

Ps - I'm drunk but i still hate facebook even sober! ;( :f_confused: :f_confused: :f_confused: :f_confused: :f_o: :f_o: :f_love: :f_love: :f_love: :f_love: :f_love: :f_love: :D :f_p: :f_p: :f_p: :f_p: :f_p: ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(
    • KidPokersKid
      Better decision is not to block it but just have them monitered.

Also like the above said I also hate it... people are just so stupid when they put stuff onto their page, then when employers or whoever searches your page and sees you doing a kegstand... it doesnt look very good on you.
      I had a friend who went to grad school and found out that they search out peoples facebook pages prior to acceptance just to see what kind of person they really are, and lets just say she was lucky enough to remove lots of stuff on her page before anything happend.
    • i5bet72o
      just out of curiosity is banned at work? b/c i have never really had a real job.
    • royalbulet
      hmm , well at my workplace ALL sites are blocked except the ones we actually need. is not blocked since it's needed. ( for apparent reasons i can't say why , and where i work , but u can probably guess it )

But ur right , we all got cells with internet so it's np if we wana access smth.

I guess it's better to block certain sites so that people do theyr jobs better.

this is just imho.

• MichaelM
      Originally posted by i5bet72o
      just out of curiosity is banned at work? b/c i have never really had a real job.
      Not in our office :p
      Thing is, I can see how sites like facebook can eat away loads of work time, but if you work result focused, it shouldn't be a problem. But certainly depends on the position and company ;)
    • Kirilvfali
      Some studies have shown that workers spend 38 minutes a days on facebook. Calculate then how much time is wasted on facebook per week, per month... I have limited access to facebook in my company but in specific times so that workers can access to facebook during the lunch time or break, that is important for them. I use software called facebook limiter to block facebook in specifis times.
    • fruktpuff
      I currently work in 1st line IT support / Customer service.

Our work is highly dependent on workload, but we have nothing blocked.

It's an unspoken agreement with our Project Manager though: Do what you want, so long as you drop it when the phone rings, and you do your job.

I spent 8.5h/day from work logged on to both and facebook :P
    • Hadi
      In an old job, we had rather strict restrictions - which even resulted in me not being able to check links on the forums. But generally I'd say it's all good in a relaxed, creative work environment.