First variance based downswing.

• holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Not had many good hands at all since Friday, mostly just leaking and not winning any big pots. There have been two or three bad calls caused by tilt stemming from frustration which do count for about 2/3 of my losses, had a few beats and a huge bad beat (AA beaten by 66, all in pre flop).

In the last half hour I had the AA beat and KK on CO with everyone before me folding and the blinds didn't call my raise... So I've left the tables to avoid tilting.

I'm trying to tell myself there's nothing I can do about it, it's just the way the cards are coming... But when I'm making some proper bad calls it's hard to stay positive with myself.

On the other hand, it's showing up some big leaks and telling me I need to tighten up. So hopefully I should make some bigger profits on the next upswing, as long as I plug.
  • 10 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      remember that variance plays a part in every downswing and upswing, however the better you play, the bigger your upswings will be and the smaller your downswings will be (even though both are inevitable for good players)
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      And now KK all in preflop beaten by QQ...

Going to keep my head on though.
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      I won a big hand and then lost it with poor decision making... I'm going to switch back to SSS until I tighten up.
    • h2liann
      h2liann
      Bronze
      .. "KK on CO with everyone before me folding and the blinds didn't call my raise... So I've left the tables to avoid tilting." ...

this is not variance : D
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      An important thing to remember is "There is no such thing as running bad, only ran bad".

What this means is the future is not yet decided, so we can only talk about the past. :) You may have ran bad in the past, but that does not mean you will in your next session!
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ribbo
      An important thing to remember is "There is no such thing as running bad, only ran bad".

What this means is the future is not yet decided, so we can only talk about the past. :) You may have ran bad in the past, but that does not mean you will in your next session!
      I like that, I'll remember it.

I'm already up today, so fingers crossed it continues.
    • h0m1e
      h0m1e
      Bronze
      well losing to a smaller pair all in pf is standard, get used to it....A major suckout would be to lose with an overpair against undercards unconnected and unsuited.....
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      What this means is the future is not yet decided, so we can only talk about the past.

Oh my god, doc, are you saying you have build a time machine....... out of a Delorean??

No but seriously, interesting discussion over there, pls continue :f_p:

I found book 'The Poker Mindset' really helpful, it's just an eye opener, helps you get rid of 'omg r1gged' thoughts.
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      ive run sickly bad the last 2 weeks....the 2 weeks previous every session i played was a winning session and now every session ive played in the last 2 have been losing ones. ive decided to take a few weeks away from poker because with each bad beat i received my play got gradually worse until i was back to just playing like an idiot sitting down with my whole stack at high limits. need to take time away...cool down and try and fix this problem.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Platinum
      Originally posted by h2liann
      .. "KK on CO with everyone before me folding and the blinds didn't call my raise... So I've left the tables to avoid tilting." ...

this is not variance : D
      pretty funny though