[NL2-NL10] bet?

• happyteerak
      happyteerak
      Bronze
      should I bluff bet here to take him off his better hand?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $3.52
      CO:
      $1.43
      Hero:
      $1.86

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.87 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:spade: , 8:club:
      2 folds, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06, CO calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) T:spade: , 6:club: , 3:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.18, BB calls $0.18, CO folds.

Turn: ($0.61) T:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.61) 5:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $0.61

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (As 8c)
      BB shows two-pair, tens and nines (9s 9c)

BB wins with two-pair, tens and nines (9s 9c)
  • 5 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Looks fine. Zero change of folding nines on turn or river. Flop bet is prob marginal in itself, but I don't mind it if your planning on barreling good cards.
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I don't like betting that flop unless you have two overcards. It's also better to do it with KQ rather than AK. If your ace hits after you bet flop, you will be up against two pair (AT, A6, A3) more often than you would if your king hit (KT, K6, K3 are less likely preflop calling hands)
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fryandspicy
      I don't like betting that flop unless you have two overcards. It's also better to do it with KQ rather than AK. If your ace hits after you bet flop, you will be up against two pair (AT, A6, A3) more often than you would if your king hit (KT, K6, K3 are less likely preflop calling hands)
      You bet the flop because you need to balance your ranges. Checking the flop is just telling your opponent you have absolutely nothing at all and he is going to bet close to 100% of his hands into you on the turn and you're going to have to fold everytime you don't hit an ace.
      However on the turn, yes you can't bet if you believe your opponent only calls flop with a piece of it. You're never folding him off a pair at this point.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Howdy,

I would cbet that flop. We have BD FD, our 3 Aces may be live outs and overall he may have just crap he is going to fold - which is pretty good for us.

After cbetting I'm shutting down without improvement. On that turn I doubt we can force him to fold anything much.

River completes a lot of draws and I think he would have bet here if he had a hand, so we could try betting and pushing him off the 88-TT/55/44 type of hands, but he seems like a bit loosish, so he may just call with whatever he has, not mentioning times when he somehow decided to get tricky with flush/straight here. So overall - I just check back.

Good luck!
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Duudalinja
      Howdy,

I would cbet that flop. We have BD FD, our 3 Aces may be live outs and overall he may have just crap he is going to fold - which is pretty good for us.

After cbetting I'm shutting down without improvement. On that turn I doubt we can force him to fold anything much.

River completes a lot of draws and I think he would have bet here if he had a hand, so we could try betting and pushing him off the 88-TT/55/44 type of hands, but he seems like a bit loosish, so he may just call with whatever he has, not mentioning times when he somehow decided to get tricky with flush/straight here. So overall - I just check back.

Good luck!
      Agreed overall.

Collecting the pot, instead of putting yourself in a situation where you could easily have the best hand yet bluff-catching is really uncomfortable, is usually a better option. It doesn't have much to do with balance, since that guy won't care thus neither should we. Sometimes you're valuebetting against random flushdraws and gutshots as well.

If you do decide to bet the river, mostly to test if the guy is capable of folding anything ever, make it big, otherwise he's gonna talk himself into a call with anything, so you'll lose the pot AND you won't have learned anything in the process either.

Hope it helps.