[NL2-NL10] should I have come over the top on the flop?

• happyteerak
      happyteerak
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $2.24
      Hero:
      $2.37

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.87 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , J:club:
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.08, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) A:club: , 8:diamond: , 4:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14.

Turn: ($0.47) Q:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.22, Hero raises to $0.55, MP2 calls $0.33.

River: ($1.57) 2:club: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75.

Final Pot: $3.07

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows three-of-a-kind, queens (Qh Qd)
      Hero shows (Ad Jc)

MP2 wins with three-of-a-kind, queens (Qh Qd)
  • 5 replies
    • Paaaaaaaaaulo
      Paaaaaaaaaulo
      Bronze
      Easy fold pre flop imo. He seems to be a pretty tight-aggressive player who seems to have a clue about what he's doing. He probably looks at his own hands only and doesn't care much for what you do, so when 2nd barrels/call you can expect to be behind AQ+ a lot. Plus AJ can put you in pretty bad situations where you hit top pair but don't know whether your kicker is good or not, like this one.
      On the river you only beat AT which would slow down by the turn or a bluff which doesn't seem likely.
    • happyteerak
      happyteerak
      Bronze
      Yea I was playing super aggressive at this time and it had ben verysuccessful on this table. I thought that he had a better ace then me and that is why I didn't bet or raise on the flop. Too bad case I was ahead in hindsight. Yea as I see here was in a very tough decision spot and that is why I wonder here.
    • SPwoodrose
      SPwoodrose
      Silver
      I don't think raising the flop is a good idea. There are no draws out there and by raising you essentially just fold out all of his bluffs and weaker aces and get called by all the hands that beat you.

It's unfortunate that he hit the queen, but that's such a tiny part of his range that we can't really do anything about it.

Btw I also agree that folding pre flop is better against this particular opponent, given his stats. :)
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      i would agree with folding pre flop against a tight player but if you do call id be raising that flop...if he has aq+ ul just call your money off to the river..id try and take the pot down on the flop and if u get played back at u know your beat and can fold...some players even will call a 3 bet on the flop with kk qq jj in the hope that your making a play and they cant fold a big pair so u get more value
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by SPwoodrose
      I don't think raising the flop is a good idea. There are no draws out there and by raising you essentially just fold out all of his bluffs and weaker aces and get called by all the hands that beat you.

It's unfortunate that he hit the queen, but that's such a tiny part of his range that we can't really do anything about it.

Btw I also agree that folding pre flop is better against this particular opponent, given his stats. :)
      This.

I might fold the river even given that price. While it's conceivable villain has something like KQ on the turn when he bets that scare card rather small, he's very rarely 3 barreling after he dropped his bet size from 3/4 to 2/5 on the turn, as if he was inclined to bet less with bluffs he would have done so on the flop most of the time. Also, there are very few draws for him to barrel with since he might not even raise KT/KJ preflop from that position, so we have to mostly put a 9/8 full ring player on a pure bluff to call down, which sounds way wrong.

Hope it helps.