This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

pots odds so difficult

• Rui8386
      Rui8386
      Silver
      hi,super noob question

on the turn,hero has 6 clean outs to improve and faces a bets from opponent

someone tells me hero need the pot 10BB to continue

is it right?why some sofeware says only need 6.7 BB?
  • 3 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      In order to know whether to continue, you need to state (at least):
      -size of pot
      -size of bet

You don't give enough information so its hard to help fully.

If you have 6 outs, you have about 12% (i.e. 7:1) chance to hit your hand on the next street. So, ignoring any extra $ you can win, you need pot odds of around 7:1. So if the pot was $60 and your opponent bet $10, then you would need to call $10 for a pot of $70 ($60+$10). So you would have pot odds of $70:10 (7:1).

If your opponent bet $20 you would only have 4:1 ($80:$20) and the pot odds are worse than your actual odds, so you cant call.

edit: just realised this is FL :rolleyes: Still, I guess the principles are similar....
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      OK, so on the turn we have 6 clean outs.

Firstly we know 6 of the 52 cards in the deck which is the board (flop and turn) plus our hand. So we are looking to hit 6 cards from the 46 unknown cards which is 1 in 7.6 also known as 6.6 to 1

So in fixed limit 5/10 game it will be $10 to call, before we call we need $66 in the pot to call. However we can assume our opponent will call 1 bet on the river (maybe even bet and call our raise) when we hit, so we can include implied odds. In this case to call a $10 bet on the turn we would need $56 in the pot +$10 implied odds after we bet river when we hit and get called.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rui8386
      hi,super noob question

on the turn,hero has 6 clean outs to improve and faces a bets from opponent

someone tells me hero need the pot 10BB to continue

is it right?why some sofeware says only need 6.7 BB?
      I'm at super-noob level too, but I use the rule of 4+2 to calculate this.

It's simple, and pretty accurate. For the flop you times the number of outs by 4, give you the percentage needed. For example, you have 8 outs on the flop 8x4 = 32% (or just over 3/1)

For the turn it's multiplied by 2, so in your case -again 6 outs- 6 x 2 = 12%.

I think the rule changes for more than 8 outs, but someone here can help with that - I'm still getting used to it myself.