pots odds so difficult

• Rui8386
      Rui8386
      Silver
      hi,super noob question

on the turn,hero has 6 clean outs to improve and faces a bets from opponent

someone tells me hero need the pot 10BB to continue

is it right?why some sofeware says only need 6.7 BB?
  • 3 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      In order to know whether to continue, you need to state (at least):
      -size of pot
      -size of bet

You don't give enough information so its hard to help fully.

If you have 6 outs, you have about 12% (i.e. 7:1) chance to hit your hand on the next street. So, ignoring any extra $ you can win, you need pot odds of around 7:1. So if the pot was $60 and your opponent bet $10, then you would need to call $10 for a pot of $70 ($60+$10). So you would have pot odds of $70:10 (7:1).

If your opponent bet $20 you would only have 4:1 ($80:$20) and the pot odds are worse than your actual odds, so you cant call.

edit: just realised this is FL :rolleyes: Still, I guess the principles are similar....
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      OK, so on the turn we have 6 clean outs.

Firstly we know 6 of the 52 cards in the deck which is the board (flop and turn) plus our hand. So we are looking to hit 6 cards from the 46 unknown cards which is 1 in 7.6 also known as 6.6 to 1

So in fixed limit 5/10 game it will be $10 to call, before we call we need $66 in the pot to call. However we can assume our opponent will call 1 bet on the river (maybe even bet and call our raise) when we hit, so we can include implied odds. In this case to call a $10 bet on the turn we would need $56 in the pot +$10 implied odds after we bet river when we hit and get called.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rui8386
      hi,super noob question

on the turn,hero has 6 clean outs to improve and faces a bets from opponent

someone tells me hero need the pot 10BB to continue

is it right?why some sofeware says only need 6.7 BB?
      I'm at super-noob level too, but I use the rule of 4+2 to calculate this.

It's simple, and pretty accurate. For the flop you times the number of outs by 4, give you the percentage needed. For example, you have 8 outs on the flop 8x4 = 32% (or just over 3/1)

For the turn it's multiplied by 2, so in your case -again 6 outs- 6 x 2 = 12%.

I think the rule changes for more than 8 outs, but someone here can help with that - I'm still getting used to it myself.