Variance!

• Monarc2010
      Monarc2010
      Bronze
      Thought I share this with everyone but with a warning!
      Before trying it, this did involve bad bank roll management and I knew it, so if you do it you are likely to lose your money twice as fast!

Since I received my start up cash I been playing 1.20 Sng's and after reading and seeing all the information available to me. I was not able to win but a 3rd place in my Sng´s, I also played 1.20 Mtt's.
      Well things went bad my bankroll went down to 20's and i was about ready to give up. After Spending a week doing nothing but playing icm trainer, watching sessions reviews. I hit the tables again and well same thing Was happening and my fustration level was just going threw the roof...

I had the weirdest feeeling that maybe the level of play at 1.20 is just so bad that it affected my level of play....so i decided to move up to 2.50 (I KNOW BAD MONARC BAD BAD) Well 7 games later i have 1st place, 2nd place, third place....bank role back up to 40....

Was it the added extra pressure?
      Was it the level of play was better?
      Was it the change of scenary?
      Was it reviewing my bronze material again?

Maybe all....so I am planning to increase my bank role by making a deposit so I am practicing good BRM again.....so dont get on me about bad BRM..

It may work for you if your feeling the same level of stress I was was playing sng 1.20 sooooo..... maybe you are at the wrong level!

BUT PLEASE IF YOUR THINKING OF TRYING REVIEW ALL MATERIAL FIRST AND MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO GAPS IN YOUR GAME...LIKE I HAD LACK OF BLIND STEALS IN MINE.....IT WONT HURT TO REVEIW MATERIAL AGAIN BEFORE TRYING THIS.... AGAIN NOT RECOMMEND BY THIS SITE....BUT IT WORKED AND HELPED ME GET OUT OF A BAD FUNK!

Hope this helps someone get out of their funk!
      or at least spark an idea to trying something different to see if they can get some wins under their belt! I know they sure helped my attitude!
  • 6 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      It was a small sample of games. U state that the level of play at the 1.20$ level somehow affects ur play therefore I'm sure the 2.50$s aren't doing any favors for ur performance either. SnGs are about volume, discipline and patience, nothing else. Ur post is a classic example of what happens when one or more of the mentioned prerequisites are missing.

GL beating the variance.
    • Monarc2010
      Monarc2010
      Bronze
      Thanks for your input Atoks!

Yes you are right, I was lacking patience, and by moving up I was forced myself to have a little more patience a little more discipline. I only did this after some study and review and then continued bad results.

Where does Varience end and where does bad play start?
      Varience cant explain away long losing streaks because the more you lose, the more stress, the more stress, the more bad play!

Its our resposibility to not chuck everything up to varience.
      Even the most seasoned pro, will chuck long losing streaks to varience, but is it really just varience or is bad play involved?

I think its both!

If I want to be succesfull I have to learn to tell the difference!
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Thanks for the helpful tips :) However, this thread doesn't really belong in the Feedback forum, so I've moved it to General Poker Discussion.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      maybe in micro cash games but in sng no ;p
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      I agree with Atoks. Small sample size, you had a good run. This shouldn't be seen as advice or a viable strategy (if you're practicing proper BRM)... you should be moving down in stakes if your bankroll takes too big a hit. If you don't like playing at the smallest stakes and you've deposited money to play higher, then it's all good, but you will experience the same variance and swings at any level.
    • Monarc2010
      Monarc2010
      Bronze
      While my sample size since being at PS is small.
      I do have six months of 40+ hours weekly of poker playing.

I seen lots of people on poker sites. Say its the varience, the reason why you keeping losing!

Is it really varience? or is it bad habits you developed after accumulated bad beats? is it a lack of patience? is it a combination?

Most people wont take the time to learn how to tell the difference!
      They chuck it up to varience!
      If they did maybe that week long or month long period of not making money could be cut shorter!

It took me moving up in limits to snap out of a really bad streak of loses, to then see that my cold streak was just not varience, but to accumulated bad habits, including lack of patience!

The moral of this is this....You need to do something different then what you been doing to get out of the funk your in! Dont keep just throwing money at a situation which has not given you results! It will only add to your fustration!

I dont intend to have people risk their bankroll like I did!
      I want people to stop and think!
      Is it varience or bad poker playing?
      What can I do different?
      Review your game play! Review recommended startegy! Take a break from poker! Go back to basic startegy!

DO ANYTHING BUT JUST CHUCK IT UP TO VARIENCE!

I appreciate all your reply´s and in no way do i take any of your replies in a bad way. Dialogue is good and different ways of thinking will lead all of us to do what we all want...MAKE MONEY! HAVE FUN PLAYING POKER!