This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Journey to a SNG Life

• Kalculater
      Kalculater
      Bronze
      BACKGROUND

Sex: Male

Currently I am a student at University. Whilst I study Internation Business and Accounting degrees full-time, I also work part-time in retail. My poker history started when i began playing live free games at our local bar. As a newly 18 year old frequenting the pub i fell into the free poker games as a means of entertainment. After a few months of not playing very well and consuming alot of alcohol I bought Phil Helmuth's poker book, studied it and started applying concepts to the poker table.

Over the next year I moved out of home to reside further down the coast, undertaking my degrees at a different university. I occasionally hit the tables at the free events, won a few (1st prize bottle of spirits - yeow!) and made it to the end of season tournaments. I actuallycame 6th at one for $250. Whilst it wasnt a HUGE cash winning, it was decent and the feeling was unbelievable!

Fastforward to a further year later and I rarely played poker. Throughout this time I had put money onto a Fulltilt account and gradually lost. I did not adhere to any BRM rules and played Cash games, SNGs and MTTs without in-depth knowledge of poker concepts.

Earlier this year I was heading to Bali for a surfing trip/holiday. Scouring my bookcase for holiday reading material i stumbled upon Phil Helmuth's book once again, and threw it into my suitcase. Over the trip I purchased Colin Moshman's SNG Strategy book, and read both books over the course of our three week holiday. In between many bintangs, great food and alotta surfing mind you!

When I got back from holidays it was straight back into university. On my off days i started playing cash games $1.20 9-man SNGs with my remaining $50 balance. I ended up going bust due to not adhering to proper concepts, my understanding of late game play and ICM was very limited. I also did not have the confidence pushing hands that should have been pushed, particularly on the bubble and high blind play.

I studied ICM and late blind play in Colin Moshman's book once again. After analysing the amount of rake i was paying (i am currently not receiving rakeback) I decided I was mainly going to focus on playing the $1.10 45man SNGs as these are only 10% rake, compared to 20% of 9-man SNGs on FullTilt.
      I deposited $10 into FullTilt.

I WAS a LOSING player. Over the past month I have put in a great volume of these SNGs coupled with some STT SNGs. I have been doing well and as such have successfully made ALL money back which I had previously lost, from the $10 i deposited one month ago.

These are illustrated by the graphs below:

Graph of Profit over entire deposit history (2-3years). http://www.pokerprolabs.com/topsharkpro/graph/TotalProfitByGamesPlayed?id=14467096&pnid=2&tt=2

Note: over the last 300-400 games (last month) I have pushed my total profit into the Green.

This second graph shows the profit over the last 90 days.
      http://www.pokerprolabs.com/topsharkpro/graph/TotalProfitByDate?id=14467096&pnid=2&tt=2
      Note: the last month

Here is a picture from holdem manager.

http://i55.tinypic.com/aop7wm.jpg

[b]GOALS[/b]

- Obtain a bankroll through playing poker to move up to the $5.50 45-man SNGs and eventually, higher stakes.
      - Adhere to strict bankroll management rules.
      - Play great, profitable poker. Eventually to supplement my income.
      - Review my play, find areas that need work and plug leaks in my game.
      - Apply statistical concepts and maintain records of my tournaments/hands to review.
      - Update this blog and post key hands on forum.

Long-term:
      - Supplement my income through poker for my extracurricular activities. (I play guitar, piano, sing and study BJJ and Arakan martial arts).
      - Gain poker coaching: video/live.

BRM

- Maintain at least 75 BI's at a certain level, moving down as needed. Can play $1.10 45man SNGs at any Bankroll.
      - Only move up to next level with 100 BI's.

This allows for a 25BI swing at new level before having to move down and grinding up to a higher playable bankroll.

The jump from $1.10 45man SNGs to $5.50 45man SNGs is huge, meaning i need a big bankroll to move up from micro to low stakes.

TARGET: $550. (100 BI's at $5.50 45man SNG)

I will be keeping track of all my tournament records on excel, with all relevant statistics to succesfully review my play. I will be posting these here to keep track of these and to hopefully gain feedback from you all.

I will also be using SNGWiz and ICM Trainer to review and enhance certain parts of my play.

This project will be officially starting tomorrow 9/9/2010. I will only be focusing on 45man SNGs to grind my new bankroll to step up to the higher limits.

If you took the time to read this, thanks. I will be updating more as I think of stuff to add and progress with the tournaments.
  • 1 reply