which is the most profitable event in poker?

• 11 replies
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      MTT > SnG > Cash

in terms of softness of the fields.. but how profitable it is depends on how good you are at each game.
    • Macklaaa
      Macklaaa
      Bronze
      I'm not the greatest player in the world but here's my 2 cents.

MTT's have the greatest ROI, cause you can buy into some for a dollar and win 1000's, but, the variance is brutal, you can go 20 or more tourneys without cashing and even the best players only make a final table a small % of the time. Chris Ferguson went 48 WPT tournaments without a cash, so that says something about MTT's. Not that I'm trying to discourage you, but just be prepared to not cah in alot of MTT's and don't let it affect your confidence.

SNG's are very much EV and ICM orientated. It's pretty much ABC poker, stay tight early on and get it in when the blinds are big with +EV hands and hope they hold up against the donk who called you with 63os.

As for cash games, personally I don't play full ring games, I play 6 max. Simply cause I'm comfortable playing marginal hands and my post flop play is ok, not brilliant, it does need some work, but ok. So unlike SNG's playing cash games your post flop play needs to be pretty good, but if your just building your BR like me, i would opt for cash games, though there are ALOT of better players on here who may disagree and I would listen to them other than me.

Anyways, good luck at the tables dude :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      How long is a piece of string?
    • Macklaaa
      Macklaaa
      Bronze

And thats your opinion eh? I'm sure the OP is glad you posted.
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      +1

If you look at the richest online poker players, they all predominantly play cash games. But if you're looking to make a quick buck, it's much easier to play MTTs or SNGs.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      quick buck with sng? hardly quick..unless u never see a downswing. mtt has the most fishes but honestly, you have to be sick lucky to win a tournament, never the most skilled wins, never, 90% time its fishes who win by sucking out every ungodly hand..
    • Macklaaa
      Macklaaa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fryandspicy
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      +1

If you look at the richest online poker players, they all predominantly play cash games. But if you're looking to make a quick buck, it's much easier to play MTTs or SNGs.

So you +1 to the "How long is a piece of string" and then go on to say that to make a quick buck play SNG's or MTT's.

You must know the variance in STT or MTT is much higher than cash games, but yer, lets just +1 on the how long is a piece of string comment.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      tell me more of this string and its lengthyness
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      There is no easy money in poker. It takes hard work to make consistent long-term profits, luckboxing for short term profits.
    • Macklaaa
      Macklaaa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wasy8
      There is no easy money in poker. It takes hard work to make consistent long-term profits, luckboxing for short term profits.
      Thats the sort of comment you need to +1 on :)
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      quick buck with sng? hardly quick..unless u never see a downswing. mtt has the most fishes but honestly, you have to be sick lucky to win a tournament, never the most skilled wins, never, 90% time its fishes who win by sucking out every ungodly hand..
      That's essentially my point. If you want to make money without learning poker, these are your best bet :f_biggrin: