$2,16
      MP3:
      $5,38
      CO:
      $0,99
      Hero:
      $1,99

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:spade: , J:heart:
      MP3 calls $0,02, CO calls $0,02, Hero raises to $0,11, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0,09, CO folds.

Flop: ($0,27) 8:club: , 9:heart: , J:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0,24, MP3 raises to $0,48, Hero calls $0,24.

Turn: ($1,23) K:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $1,23, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1,23
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Hard to say without reads, usually I'll play it the same unless I have reasons to believe he can do it with worse hands on the flop, in which case I'm just shoving it in right there.

Hope it helps.
    • mordath
      mordath
      Bronze
      Actually I get a bit confused then since during a coaching here during a hand evaluation session the advise I got from this hand was to just fold flop since it doesn't have great equity against the hands that have me beat.

So.. not sure which advice to follow. Fold flop, call minraise due to odds and chances of a cheap semibluff or shove it in.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

There isn't necessarily only one viable line, especially against unknowns since by definition you don't know how they play, so you can't optimize your lines as well as you could with reads.

All it comes down to is you're getting about 4:1 on a flop call, villain could sometimes be doing that with a worse hand like KJ or TT or other semibluffs, so in terms of pure equity you usually have a license to call the minraise.

The reason I think the coach said to fold the flop is because you have virtually no idea of what is going to happen on the turn. If he's spazzing out with a semibluff chances are he might jam the turn with it anyway, if he's overplaying Jx he will felt it on most cards as well, if he flopped a monster of course he will shove the turn into you. So you actually don't get that much information from "seeing what happens" on the turn, which is why when in doubt it could be considered better to cut your losses on the flop, even if your equity looks okay in relation to pot odds.

To be honest I don't really know how much the low stakes and the knowledge that I have a huge skill edge on people affect me there, I guess i'm a bit more inclined to call the minraise because 1/ it's not much money to me 2/ i feel ok trying to extrapolate a lot from his sizing/timing on a turn bet 3/ there is some inherent value for future hands to see if he really means it when he check/minraises.

So it's a fringe spot but yeah, maybe it's better for you to straight up fold the flop as a default. More than the "default line" you should end up choosing from that, I hope the explanation made sense.

Hope it helps.