Passive steals from the SB?

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      I saw an interesting move in a video I saw yesterday. The coach (Chenny) was stealing vs. a passive player from the sb by completing and betting any flop instead of raising. I thought this was interesting and could be applied to FR BSS.

Does anyone use this type of steal?
  • 6 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Why is better than raising pre, raising flop? Less money at risk?

Probably a good way of varying your steals, but i don't see the difference between this and a normal blind vs blind steal really. Just means you're less likely to get a call when you have a premium hand.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      The idea isn't to play as a trap. It's simply to exploit a certain player type that might be inclined to call preflop with a hand with decent equity but will almost always fold on a flop if he hasn't hit. I guess it might not apply that much to NL Holdem FR, but in a SNG where the blinds are sizable you can steal a sizable pot this way.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      I dont think you should try this in a cash game, especially not micros. It makes your opponents decision much easier, allows him to only continue when he hits the flop or give up when he doesnt.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      OK, duh, kinda obvious, but I did find an application to this type of steal. Vs. small or micro stacks on the bb with a hand which is good enough to steal, but with which you wouldn't want to face a shove or reraise, or even a call from the small stack, since he'll be pot committed. That is a good time to use a limp and go instead of normal steal. I did it today on rush for the first time. Had 33, vs. $1.30 stack on NL10, completed and bet 0.20 into the flop. Success.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      Originally posted by alenstrat
      OK, duh, kinda obvious, but I did find an application to this type of steal. Vs. small or micro stacks on the bb with a hand which is good enough to steal, but with which you wouldn't want to face a shove or reraise, or even a call from the small stack, since he'll be pot committed. That is a good time to use a limp and go instead of normal steal. I did it today on rush for the first time. Had 33, vs. $1.30 stack on NL10, completed and bet 0.20 into the flop. Success.
      I'm ready to put 13bb in with 33 preflop bvsb all day. Don't get the point in that example. Especially in rush you can just shove pre with 33 when it's folded to you in sb when playing with 13bb effectively. If you've got KT you can raise/call or even raise/fold vs. some villains.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      @Shevtshenko; I agree with you on this, be it right or wrong.

Also, completing the sb is very common t micro stakes cash and it's just weak IMO. However, since I don't play a lot of SnGs I can't really comment on the move there, except to say if Chenny does it then it's good enough for me! May be a good idea to ask his thought processes for the play so as to understand it, rather than just 'blindly' (see what I did there? ) following the leader. If you understand it, you may see other applications for it under different scenarios; for example, when the blinds become significant, or near/on the bubble?

Have fun.