How rigid is BSS

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Here is why I ask:
      I'm playing 0.05/0.10
      I'm just learning this, so I'm looking up almost every hand on the starting hands chart, and acting accordingly. The blinds went around about 3 times, and I had not yet gotten a playable hand. then I got JJ in the cutoff, and bet 0.40.
      The BU, the blinds and all the limpers promptly folded. I went through another dead spot, then got pocket AA in early pos, and again, they all folded. For most of an hour or two, no matter what cards I got, everyone just up and folded.

I realized that they were playing me like I was a rock or something, when I was just card dead.

Anyway, I got board and started raising any hand that had something more than a 9 in it (in late pos or blinds only though) and scooped up a bunch of cash before somebody mounted a challenge -- which I of course promptly lost, but it was only about .30 or so.

After that, things went more normally for a while, and over the session I doubled my initial stack.

So here is the question:
      Did I play stupidly and get lucky, or was this a sensible adjustment to other players?

BTW, I'm so thankful for this site -- I'd read most of the same stuff here and there, but this has it all together, and all well organized -- Well Done!

--V
  • 4 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      play rigid at the learning phrase is always good, helps to develop disciplines.

then after you play for a while you can start to understand your opponents. then you can try moves and see where do they lead you. think about the game instead of just following charts and it would be much more fun.

also read hand histories at hands evaluation forum and start to analyze your own hands.

the process of decision making is the most important and fun part of poker and you should really focus on this.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      back to your question.

in micros you can play 'rigidly'(following the chart and playing TAG) and win.

but once you reach a certain limit you will find BSS is all about adjusting to opponents and being flexible. so rigid is the last word I will use to describe it.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Thanks for that.

After reading your replies, I noticed the "Crushing NL 50" article link and read it.

In the first article of the series,
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/1647/1/

It pretty much confirms that I did the right thing by attacking the blinds against what were apparently very tight players.

I love this site!

--BM
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      Just play more tables, and ya blind stealing is 100% fine if the villians dont play back that much.