$11.13
      BU:
      $10.15
      SB:
      $15.50
      BB (Hero):
      $15.48

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, J.
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.35, SB folds, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.75) 3, 9, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

Turn: ($1.95) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

River: ($4.95) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $5.10, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.95.

First time in a pot with villain this session (although I seem to have some previous stats on him over 86 hands => 34/20/4AF (F 2.5/T 4.0/R inf)/ Steal: 28%/FCbet: 100%/TCbet: 100%)

Should be an obvious call actually?, but I guess I let my self be affected by a couple of previous hands on other tables that were exactly like that, where I was indeed ahead, but when they pot the river as well, they usually show their runner runner or some whacky shit that got there.
  • 3 replies
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Why did you just called both streets pre-flop and flop OOP?

I personally don't like playing any kind of hand oop because i can't get too much information on the villain's hand.

I wouldn't be sure to give a call on the river since the board paired. He could be floating with some Ax, Kx maybe did played some kind of sc, i personally don't have too much experience on sh play though.

I would've raised the villain pf so i could have initiative on the flop, depending on the 3-bet/4-bet history, if he gives just a call on the flop you would've hit a good turn.

Again. I'm just starting out, but that would personally be my line of thought.
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Yeah, why I just flatted is a good question, usually I would 3bet there.
      I think it was because the stats hadn't appeared for him yet, cause he just sat down and this was his first hand, so that's why I might've taken a more passive line vs an unknown cause I had no stats during the hand.

On the flop players on NL10 usually bet big when they have air to get rid of your small holdings, so I think my AJ high is good a lot of the times there + I have outs if it isn't.

Turn I made my hand, but still I am either way ahead or way behind vs this crazy potting action so I decide to just call.

And based on that I should also call on the river, but why I didn't I already explained in my initial post.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Ahah, I have the same problem these days. Calling down against random dudes betting huge on all streets, then they show me flopped bottom pair that rivered two pairs or something.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the stats vs no stats thing, if he just sat down why didn't he post anything and if he started in the big blind the stats should have appeared by then. What I'm saying is you can't really use the stats for some parts of the hand and not for the others unless they poped right in the middle of the hand. So either he's a complete unknown or he's a maniac, it's one or the other.

I agree with nathanrenard I'd just 3bet it by default, it's profitable from preflop alone and playing AJo out of position without any idea what to expect from villain usually just leads to blurry decisions and money leaks.

On the flop if you think it's standard for people to bet that strong with air I'd consider check/raise bluffing there, just because you can check/call and be ahead on the flop doesn't mean they can't make your life miserable with position on later streets. I've seen quite a bunch of players just firing two barrels by default with anything in these late position vs blinds situations, a few of them actually bombed the river as well with pure air still.

Turn is obviously fine and when he pots the river I'd reluctantly call, I don't really get why he would pot it suddenly after taking the time to not bet pot on earlier streets. It's just odd and it could mean different things, but I just revert back to hand values in that case and TPTK is quite strong there when all draws busted, you're often up against QQ+/33/99 or nothing.

Hope it helps.