$10.68
      SB:
      $11.81
      BB:
      $5.45
      MP2:
      $7.99

Preflop: Hero is BU with 2, 2.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) 8, T, J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.65) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.88, BB calls $1.48.

River: ($4.41) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $4.41.

Villain is completely unknown.

Should I bluff big on the river to possibly drive out any small flushes or should I just take it to showdown vs a complete unknown?

I guess it wouldn't make a lot of sense against this particular medium stacked (probably) fish who'd call most of the times with any flush.

But against a standard 100bb stack?
  • 3 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I think it's fine to check because most of the time the only hands people will defend with that have much chance at having a small card in them are pairs or offsuited aces (suited aces he'd obviously have the nut flush or no flush at all.) People generally won't cold call with off suited aces because they're too tricky to play post flop imo. So if he has a low spade it's with pocket pairs. And seeing as that's probably a very small part of his range against a button raise, and he could easily be calling with broadways which have slightly better playability, the check is fine.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      I'd play it the same way.

On the river with given the chance for a free showndown I'm not betting unless a strong info.

You are just almost never making someone to fold a flush, because if he has two spades in his hand he is most often 3betting on the turn and if he was waiting for the flush he most often has Asx and sometimes Ksx.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by kymupa
      I'd play it the same way.

On the river with given the chance for a free showndown I'm not betting unless a strong info.

You are just almost never making someone to fold a flush, because if he has two spades in his hand he is most often 3betting on the turn and if he was waiting for the flush he most often has Asx and sometimes Ksx.
      Agreed. It's important that you take into account whether his range is capped or not when envisioning a bluff, because the more nut hands he can show up with, the more often you're throwing money at him with no chance he'll fold, the more often you actually need him to fold smaller flushes to show a profit.

Hope it helps.