One player story...

• timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze

Hello everyone!

My name is Timmu and I'm 19 yearold student from Estonia city of Rapla (awfull city).

Anyway I thaught of making my own "user news" thread to talk about my poker career so here goes.

I first heard about texas hold'em about year and 5-6 months ago when we wereon school trip. I got intrested in it and I started playing online for play money ofcourse. I noticed that I play quite good (lol :D ), but actually I was a donkney who was playing against other donkeys so it was quite relativ. I played about 3 months when I got fed up with it because it didn't give me any excitment (only some outbursts of rage etc.). So i wasn't playing couple of months. Then in summer I started playing again and watched some poker related video on youtube and saw that someone one was advertising there about $50 + $100 give a way. Ofcourse I didn't believe that (cause I'm yber not naive) but I gave it a shot. I read all the articles and saw that poker is real deal and it's more than watching 2 cards and going all in. So I passed test and started playing. It went quite smoothly (actually not because I was loosing in spite of following SSS. I was angry that it didn't work and I said to myself that problem was low limit noob players who make dumbass calls (a little of that I believe so far). Anyway I started to play on SNG's and PL Omaha Hi (rofl). I was doing quite good on SNG's but I had so little bankroll that I couldn't make any profit so I played PL Omaha hi too. Omaha was quite fun and I always won there, it was amazing I don't know how I did it but I cashed out twice (just to smell the money). But then my luck turned, I lost all my money and I didn't know what to do. Twice I had bankroll of $0.02 or smth but through freerolls I managed to come back. Then at one point I decided to read all the articles again (now silver). I started to play according to BSS on NL5. It was going with ups and downs, but I didn't manage to climb up the limit. I had bankroll of $25 then $50 then $25 and so on. I got really irritated and started tilting and I did some crasy plays and my bankroll was again very low. Then I said to my self f*ck it I will start playing fine on higher limits. For that I had to have fresh started. First I gambled my "cursed" bankroll away (:D ) and redeemed my partypoints for $25. Before that I had advertised PokerStrategy on some forums and I got TAF's who will get me money for $200 (just little more). I read articles again started posting hands on sample forums and gave NL5 another shot (untill I get my TAF money). In 2 days I have had BB/100 11.39. (1,5k hands) and with that in 11k hands I have made BB/100 1.89. I know it's small but I'm happy that it is positive number and I feel I have really improved myself (I had constant badbeats and tilting for over 9k hands). Like today I had really good session and then made stupid mistakes and I said to myself: "Dude youa re tilting or smth?" and I started to make this thread :D So I'm waiting untill I have bankroll of $200 (even though it's little bit cheating with TAF money) and then I'm reading articles again and I'm starting to play better. One day I hop to get professional poker player because I feel like doing it :P

So this is my story with three dots in the end (...) because it will continue!

I will end my post with words wihich our dear mentor Puschkin loves to say:

Good luck at the tables!
      Timukasr

Edit: The picture credit goes to my friend Kaur.
  • 303 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi timukasr!

Thanks for quoting me :D

I hope you have learned your lesson. I recommend you to reread all the strategy articles - especially the bankroll management article and the psychology articles. In addition I recommend you to visit our live coachings on a regular basis and to post the hands you have played in our sample hands board (I know you have already done that, but please keep doing that!). This way you will improve your game a lot and will no longer be dependent on our TAF money ;) :P

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      nice read!

bet the city's not that bad though ;D.

GL at the higher limits; although I highly suggest following Puschkin's advice esp esp esp regarding bankroll management.
    • Nozzu
      Nozzu
      Silver
      Hi Timukasr

Nice story.
      If i get it right, you are the person who advertised pokerstrategy in one forum and thats the reason im here. So thank you.

Im totally hooked with poker now. About 2 week i only think about poker. Searching and reading articles, ordering books, even bought a collections of chips. And considering make A :spade: tatto to my arm. Like in movie Rounders :D
      K, that i do when i manage to make my bankroll up to 1000. But right now im pretty bad player. I go 0.5 dollar up and then 1 dollar down. Right now, after 1600 rounds i already lost 5 dollar. Not big loss but...
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      it's no biggee... variance is quite big for poker and 1600 isn't really a massive sample size (translation: keep trying! you'll get it in the end :p)
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      @Puschkin

I will do it! ;)

@nozzu

yeah I'm your refferer, keep up the good work! :)
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Wow I have had really good run this week, I have almost tripled my bankroll and everything is going nice. I read articles (and still reading them) like Puschkin suggested and noticed some things I didn't notice before. Now when I'm about to do something fishy or unusual I ask myself:

"How would you rate yourself after losing this hand?"

It's a very angry question but when I ask myself this then I either say: "how can I lose it?" and i push or call or say: "yeah you're right I fold."

Today was extremly good day I have played 569 hands so far, mybe I'll play more later but I made BB/100 hands 22.39 and I only lost one big hand because of oppponents or mine ignorance:
      NL5FR: what to do with calling opponent? actually it's more opponents because he didn't have enough outs to call and he said later that he sometimes tries to get lucky, but on the other hand if I had pushed earlyer he may have folded... Will see.

This week I have BB/100 14.64 (2379 hands). I don't remember when I last had so great run, but I can brag a little and say that I have improved :P .

Anyway first time I have BB/100 positive in PokerTracker. It's because I have made $30 in NL5 and lost $22 in NL10 (SSS :( ) In 12k hands I have BB/100 3.23 in NL5 which is recommended. So it's kind of achievement for me (I see NL10 on the horizont).

Today was last day of the school and now begins one week break. That means lot of party and poker (not together ofcourse except if you mean partypoker then it's together lol).

So I hop it's ont jsut a big upswing but I'm really improving!
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi timukasr!

Nice to hear that you are moving up. But be careful. Your sample size of ~2,400 hands is way too low. It seems to be an upswing although you might have improved your game. It's good to hear that you are successful. I just want to say that there will be times where you move down although you play correctly. Enjoy your upswing but prepare yourself also for the downswing. And never stop improving your game!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      So yesterday ended my wunder profit week (first for me in my short poker career). In 4k hands I had BB/100 12.60 (that makes $40 hehee). So I have bankroll about $80 and let's hop I will be climbing uo the level real soon!

Btw if you want to see what real poker face should look like then here is a face a'la Daniel Negreanu :D (damn it's so funny)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zeqgVduODJE
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      This week I'm trying to get enough partypoints for becoming a gold member (glorious aye?). I'm going at a good phase and my BB/100 was yesterday about 2-3 and today so far is 6 something.

I have had nice bad beats (especially today) where I thaught that I can't make profit playing poker, but after while it all went ok, you just can't win them all. I had some dumb moments myself but I'm working on them (I have some problems getting hold to myself but since the beginning when I started playing poker my self dicipline has been getting better and it's still improving).

I also played some tourneys (freerolls, 1$ - 2$ entrys) and there I had really big bad beats, but again there's me to accuse only.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi timukasr!

Sounds like you are on the right track. Which limits are you playing? Still mixing NL5 and NL10? Go for the gold status! :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I'm trying to concetrate playing NL10 because it's more intresting. There main diffrence between NL5 and NL10 is that in NL10 there are shortstacks who constantly go all in. Here's a question: If short stack raises from cut off 0.4$ and I'm button and i 3-bet (1.2$), he now goes all-in, I have to call about 0.9$ to go to showdown with him, is it worth it?

Oh and here's my 20k hand stats:

• Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by timukasr
      I'm trying to concetrate playing NL10 because it's more intresting. There main diffrence between NL5 and NL10 is that in NL10 there are shortstacks who constantly go all in. Here's a question: If short stack raises from cut off 0.4$ and I'm button and i 3-bet (1.2$), he now goes all-in, I have to call about 0.9$ to go to showdown with him, is it worth it?
      That depends on your hand, on your opponent, the opponents who are still in the hand, etc.... It's impossible to give a general advice. Post some hands in the sample hands board and the specific situation will be analyzed.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I just got one such a hand but in Texas Grab'em I accidently imported all tables which I have ever played :D . So I'ms ad to say my Texas Grab'em died. So I reinstalled it and now it just opens and doesnt move at all but CPU usage is 58% so I'll think how I will fix it.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Ok, got my Texas Grab'em work again.

Anyway my highest peake has been $160 but an hour ago I lost a bit and before that I entered $6 regular (110th place or something of 600). Now I'm at $147.

I will get about $60 at the end of last week from advertised friends :D , so that's fun.

Recently I noticed that 6 tables are boring for me to play and then I started 7 and that was boring then 8 and now I think I will start playing 9 tables once. I think I'm capable of that. So I did a little calculation and if I want to be gold member I have to play about hour and fifteen minutes 5 days in week. I'm not sure if I have time for that (school and training), but maybe I can. Anyway I'll give it a sho, this week I'll definetly get gold member.

I read from confidential.pokerstrategy.com that in 2 or 4 weeks points will be updated everyday (hopefully). Hooray!

Oh next week I will get Poke AceHUD license. I read from german strategy section (using translate.google.com) how to use PokerTracker and AceHUD in practice. Right now I barely have any reads on my opponents and I think with Ace HUD I will win more, but we'll see!
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi timukasr!

Sounds like a plan! :) Hope to see you as a gold member soon.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      So here I ama bright and golden :D . My advertised friends have made me last week $80 and I let it transfered to my account.

Now I am thinking wether to continue with cash games or to collect $300 and start with $6 SNG's. For now I will play NL10 and wait for SNG articles (and read other articles too ofc).

Oh, one more thing. Do I get Poker ACE Hud license code to my email?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi timukasr!

Well done!

Yes, you will get your PT/PA licences by email. Just a little patience please. We are working on it. Hope you keep moving up. Go go go for platinum! :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Hehehe, in future (read next July hopefully ;) )

I got my TAF money, compliments on PokerStrategy with high speed transfers and now I have $211. There should be little more but I had today horrible session, just didn't get any cards and I was forced to fold all the time. But for now I go and read some gold articles.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Well I have had bad beat in two days :( . I don't get any good strong or made hands, I only get overpairs and TPTK but I'm forced to fold them or go to all in because opponent is always checking and so I lose. Damn it sucks hard.