[NL2-NL10] flopped a straight, now what?

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      How should I have played this? I feel like I left $ on the table.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $5.05
      UTG2:
      $30.33
      MP1:
      $11.99
      MP2:
      $17.21
      MP3:
      $25.90
      CO:
      $16.25
      BU:
      $7.09
      SB:
      $12.84
      BB (Hero):
      $15.65

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 9.
      5 folds, CO raises to $0.35, BU folds, SB calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.05) J, 7, T (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, CO raises to $1.70, SB folds, Hero raises to $15.30, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.75.
      <br />
      <b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: resultBB in <b>/var/www/v4.main/v2010.11/html/cache/smarty/templates_c/%%ED/EDB/EDB54A5B%%hand_history_ajax.html.php</b> on line <b>138</b><br />
  • 5 replies
    • letmewinplz8
      letmewinplz8
      Bronze
      Donk/Shoving for like 150BB more is not best way to play it imo.

You could ch/call and ch/rai turn or ch/rai flop directly. The first is generally a nuts line and so the better the player the more likely he'll get away from it so I prefer to just ch/rai flop directly and hope he comes along. (Ch/raing turn relies on him 2nd barreling which isn't a given on this board too)

As played I like to call the raise and go for the check/raise turn and shove river. I suppose donking is not too bad since perhaps T9/78 donk but I would of made it bigger - like $0.7
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      You bet into the preflop agressor, then shoved when he wouldn't call a worse hand. While the bet was good since you got raised, you should have called and bet 1/2-2/3 pot on the turn. This looks like a scared play to me, avoiding to be outdrawn.

His raise preflop ( 7 BB ) looks like QQ, KK or AA. Depending on your history with him and his stats, on his flop he might not get away from these hands.
      You'll win the pot here 94% of the time, meaning he'll outdraw you about 6% of the time. Outdrawing you would mean runner runner straight which is highly unlikely.

You basicly yelled: I have a straight, go away, I don't want your money. Some stats on your opponent would help figuring out his hand.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Plan the rest of the hand out, dont just tard shove.

You can either call flop, bet 3/4 pot on turn, shove river.

Or you can try calling, check raising turn.

Or you can 4 bet flop to like $4.2.

When you shove $15 into like a $4 pot what the fuck are you going to get called by? Top set? Over pairs fold, Top pairs fold, 2 pairs fold...Are you starting to see a pattern here??
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      awesome advice!
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      Plan the rest of the hand out, dont just tard shove.

You can either call flop, bet 3/4 pot on turn, shove river.

Or you can try calling, check raising turn.

Or you can 4 bet flop to like $4.2.

When you shove $15 into like a $4 pot what the fuck are you going to get called by? Top set? Over pairs fold, Top pairs fold, 2 pairs fold...Are you starting to see a pattern here??
      +1
      overbet shove looks too strong so I like 3-betting flop to 4$, keeping initiative and building pot that way