SecurID - get off a thrid party?

• Jehudas
      Jehudas
      Bronze
      Hi there :D

As I got some geek tendencies I'd really like the RSA SecurID thingy to log me onto PokerStars. I had a look around and found out that one can buy those SecurIDs in various places. ;)

My question therefore is: would a thrid-party RSA SecurID tag work together with the PokerStars software? I mean obviously PokerStars will know that I didn't get the SecurID in their VIP-Store.

The only thing I could think of would be a limitation to the number on the back of the devices - PokerStars could have bought a "series" - let's say all numbers start with XXX... ?(

Well well, before I get such a thing (which would cost me less than 10€) - I'd like to confirm that the whole setup would work... :f_cool:

(I know that I should get a one-time-password-sheet to back me up, but that's another story)...

Well then, any experienced guys lemme know :D

Have fun @ tables! :s_biggrin:
  • 3 replies
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi Jehudas,

This won't work. You need to buy the security token from PokerStars.

For example Full Tilt Poker is offering security tokens as well and you can't use this one for PokerStars and vice versa. Every token is unique and you can't use a different token as offered at your favorite poker room.

Good luck on the tables,
      Hannes
    • Jehudas
      Jehudas
      Bronze
      oh well - but thanx a lot for the info...
      Actually I thought that you just have to enter the ID on the backside of the SecureID and that's it... Then I reckon they issue SecureIDs with "special" numbers / ranges / checksums so they know which SecureIDs were purchased in VIP store.
      TBH - one could have known this before - PokerStars is a business and business is abut making money :evil:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jehudas
      TBH - one could have known this before - PokerStars is a business and business is abut making money :evil:
      No, that's not it at all.

Verisign is a business and they wouldn't want to give PokerStars the ability to decode every single SecureID fob they make. So they assign PokerStars a small range and limit them to that.

Think of the bigger picture ... do you think government entities want PokerStars to be able to decode their SecureID passwords just because they have the serial number off the "back of the box"? :s_cool: