[NL2-NL10] NL2 Queens and Jacks Misplayed?

    • heritiKyl
      heritiKyl
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.10.2007 Posts: 10
      I've noticed the formatting for these are a little off, not sure why. The 'BB' player that has the Kings in the second hand is actually in the Button position, but for some reason either Titan or the converter messed that up and listed him as 'BB'.

      Anywho, I was just wondering what you guys thought of these hands. Did I misplay them? Was I just colddecked? In both I figured the opposing player might have had an underpair such as TT or 99, or perhaps a large Ace like AK or AQ. Obviously I was wrong.

      In hindsight I think I should have slowed down in the first hand as soon as he called my massive bet on the flop because he wouldn't draw with AK / AQ against what could be King or Aces, so I think that was a big mistake and I should've tried to check/call the turn and river.

      In the second hand he just flatcalled and I figured if he had AA or KK he would definitely reraise me so I figured I was good and that he was drawing, especially since my bets weren't as massive as the first hand (they are different players, but still). Plus he had so little remaining on the turn I figured it was best to just put him in and be done with it.

      All advice is welcomed and without further ado here are the hands:

      Hand 1

      Titan Poker Charlotte 0.01/0.02, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

      Button ($2.60)
      SB ($5.19)
      BB ($4.23)
      UTG ($1.59)
      UTG+1 ($1.98)
      MP ($3.47)
      MP ($5.52)
      MP ($1.69)
      CO-1 Hero ($6.04)
      CO ($4.96)

      Preflop: Hero is in the CO-1 with J:club: J:heart:
      2 folds, MP calls 0.02, MP calls 0.02, MP calls 0.02, Hero raises to 0.20, 3 folds, BB calls 0.18, MP calls 0.18, MP calls 0.18, 1 fold.

      Flop (0.83) 2:club: 6:diamond: 6:heart:
      BB checks, MP checks, MP checks, Hero bets 1, 1 fold, MP calls 1, 1 fold.

      Turn (2.83) 7:heart:
      MP checks, Hero moves all-in for 4.84, MP moves all-in for 2.27.

      River (9.94) 5:club:

      MP shows Q:club: Q:heart:
      Hero shows J:club: J:heart:

      MP wins 9.94 with Two pair, Queen's and Six's with a Seven for a kicker

      Hand 2

      Titan Poker Titanium 0.01/0.02, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

      Button ($1.44)
      SB ($5.97)
      BB ($1.26)
      UTG ($0.88)
      UTG+1 Hero ($2.15)
      MP ($4.98)
      MP ($2.48)
      CO-1 ($2.27)
      BB ($1)

      Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q:heart: Q:club:
      UTG calls 0.02, Hero raises to 0.20, 3 folds, BB calls 0.18, 4 folds.

      Flop (0.45) 3:spade: 9:diamond: 6:diamond:
      Hero bets 0.30, BB calls 0.30.

      Turn (1.05) 3:heart:
      Hero bets 0.50, BB moves all-in for 0.50.

      River (2.05) 7:club:

      BB shows K:diamond: K:heart:
      Hero shows Q:heart: Q:club:

      BB wins 2.05 with Two pair, King's and Three's with a Nine for a kicker
  • 4 replies
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.02.2007 Posts: 3,953
      with these stacksizes both hands are correctly played postflop in my opinion. In hand 1 you could bet a little less on flop (~.70$) as I would want that something like A2 or some low pocketpair would call me here, overbet scares those kind of hands away in my opinion. In hand 2, why such big overbet preflop though? normal bet would be 5xBB, now you raise 10xBB.
    • Mephisto87
      Mephisto87
      Black
      Joined: 19.02.2006 Posts: 4,176
      hand one is the question why u overbet the flop ?




      u can not play other lines when villain is so small stacked( queens hand).
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.04.2006 Posts: 4,786
      Hi heritiKyl!

      Hand 1) Make a smaller preflop raise and even a smaller bet on the flop. This way you avoid to get stacked with your pair and keep weaker hands in the pot. It's a lot easier for you to play for pot control.

      Hand 2) Nice hand! I would have played it the same. If he has kings: so be it. He played it really bad though.

      btw: please don't post any results because the answers you get might be biased.

      Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • heritiKyl
      heritiKyl
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.10.2007 Posts: 10
      Originally posted by degnic
      with these stacksizes both hands are correctly played postflop in my opinion. In hand 1 you could bet a little less on flop (~.70$) as I would want that something like A2 or some low pocketpair would call me here, overbet scares those kind of hands away in my opinion. In hand 2, why such big overbet preflop though? normal bet would be 5xBB, now you raise 10xBB.
      Yeah, I think I overbet the pot there because I had taken a couple of bad beats (by people calling me down and hitting) so I wanted to take it there. Of course I shouldn't let that happen so I need to work on that

      Again, at such a low level I was tired of people sucking out on me by calling down with any two cards. Of course that's what you want (to some extent) so I've practiced not doing that and so far it's worked out. I've gone with the regular 5xbb raises and it's been working so far (did that after I read these posts, haven't been able to reply until now).


      Originally posted by Mephisto87
      hand one is the question why u overbet the flop ?

      u can not play other lines when villain is so small stacked( queens hand).
      See previous reply.

      And thanks, I guess I didn't misplay it too bad then (besides the ridiculous pre-flop raise), just a cold deck.

      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Hi heritiKyl!

      Hand 1) Make a smaller preflop raise and even a smaller bet on the flop. This way you avoid to get stacked with your pair and keep weaker hands in the pot. It's a lot easier for you to play for pot control.

      Hand 2) Nice hand! I would have played it the same. If he has kings: so be it. He played it really bad though.

      btw: please don't post any results because the answers you get might be biased.

      Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      I guess that's another one of my problems that I have to adjust. I usually just try to get all my chips in with these premium pocket pairs where I should instead be trying to play for pot control. Or, at the very least, balance both situations.

      Thanks, that boosts my confidence a bit.

      Sorry, I was wondering why people didn't post the results, now I know.



      Well, thanks for the help, last night I played for a long while and raised the standards and it worked out for me, tripled up on both of the tables I was playing.