CO: $5
      BTN: $10.69
      SB: $3.73
      BB: $5.47
      UTG: $12.50
      UTG+1: $11.15
      UTG+2: $5.07

UTG posts $0.05
      Pre-Flop: J:spade: J:heart: dealt to Hero (MP2)
      2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $0.25, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.25, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.62) 7:diamond: 8:diamond: J:diamond: (2 Players)
      UTG+2 bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.40, UTG+2 calls $1

Turn: ($3.42) 9:club: (2 Players)
      UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $2.75, UTG+2 folds

Hi everyone,

Against unknown.. how should I've played this hand? what about my betsizing? Did I bet too much flop and/or turn?

Any feedback is highly appreciated..
  • 6 replies
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      First of all I would fold it preflop because it's pretty big raise.

As played, you get a sick flop, I think you should pot it ($1.82) for max protection.

Turn is pretty sick again. He could be on small flush, on straight or a draw, and I don't have a clue what to do now, so can't wait to see what will judge say.
    • SPwoodrose
      SPwoodrose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Oly0909
      I'm never folding JJ to a 5x open in position, especially at micros.

As for the hand I think you played it fine, maybe flop raise could be a little bigger. On the turn betting is probably the best play. We don't want to check behind and see another diamond or a ten or something. A straight is probably not check/raising after we raised the flop, neither is a made flush once he just calls our flop raise. So I say bet and get more value from his one pair/two pair hands, plus all his flush draws of course.
    • letmewinplz8
      letmewinplz8
      Bronze
      I am checkraising to same size on flop, shove any turn.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by SPwoodrose
      Originally posted by Oly0909
      I'm never folding JJ to a 5x open in position, especially at micros.

As for the hand I think you played it fine, maybe flop raise could be a little bigger. On the turn betting is probably the best play. We don't want to check behind and see another diamond or a ten or something. A straight is probably not check/raising after we raised the flop, neither is a made flush once he just calls our flop raise. So I say bet and get more value from his one pair/two pair hands, plus all his flush draws of course.
      Agreed. That's why I'd raise bigger on the flop too, because I don't think it makes a difference to people with a piece they'll call anyway, and then it's easier for them to call it all off if the pot/stack ratio is bigger on the turn.

Hope it helps.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPwoodrose
      On the turn betting is probably the best play. We don't want to check behind and see another diamond or a ten or something. A straight is probably not check/raising after we raised the flop, neither is a made flush once he just calls our flop raise. So I say bet and get more value from his one pair/two pair hands, plus all his flush draws of course.
      Interesting analysis. Most of the time we are just freaked out by the 4 straight cards and say to ourselves damn a T got us beat, and forget about how possible it is for a T to get there.

But what if any of these happens:

1) Villain donk turn;
      2) Villain check-raise turn.

Would you say we should fold in both situations?

I ask here because in higher limits I can imagine good players bluff of semi-bluff by donk/3bet turn or check-raise turn with a FD type of hand.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You won't see many good players donk/call the flop with a flushdraw really, if they donk it out you're just gonna get 3bet by it right on the flop.

The only reason for them to donk/call with it would be either to purposedly screw with your head so that they don't really know what ranges to put their flushdraws on later or because they believe you raise a lot of stuff that you're going to be forced to bet/fold on the turn, which is a pretty damn optimistic assumption on such a board.

Hope it helps.