[NL2-NL10] AQ very gay spot

• OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      I dont have many hands with him, what I have is tight 12/10. On the flop I was putting him on a AA KK, the turn check was reasonable, and the call aswell. the river pot bet...I dont ever believe he makes that with ...QK JK ? I just hardly believe it, also, JJ TT is out of the question...what would u guys do here? if we combine the range of a quads, Q full, KK/AA full can I call this?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $5.00
      BB:
      $26.44
      UTG1:
      $3.15
      UTG2:
      $10.81
      MP1:
      $3.36
      MP2:
      $12.73
      MP3:
      $4.17
      CO:
      $12.88
      BU (Hero):
      $20.38

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, Q.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($1.2) 8, 8, Q (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP2 bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($3.2) 3 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.00, MP2 calls $1.00.

River: ($5.2) 8 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $4.50, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.2.
      <br />
  • 4 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd just check back the turn since even the flop call is kinda close. You might be 2-outing or worse already against a tight player c-betting big into 4 players, we're really hoping he can show up with KQ there otherwise we might be ahead of nothing. If you think he bets the turn again with KK+ then I like your bet but really I fully expect this guy to start checking KK+ there even if he happens to have a spade to go with it.

On the river you're splitting or dead, there is no way he's betting worse there ever. It looks like you have Qx a lot and on every level he shouldn't expect a nl10 player to fold it, which is probably why he bombed it like he did. I like your fold.

Hope it helps.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Whether he's tight or not you should just 3bet pre. AQ is well ahead of his OR range there. IMO don't compromise by calling just because you are not sure.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

That's fine as well as long as you realize that if you 3bet, flop top pair and he doesn't fold to your c-bet, it's gross. He certainly will flat AK to a 3bet and you have no idea whether he can call with AJ as well, so even on A-high boards you'll be left in a situation where you feel you can't fold such a strong hand yet you don't really know what you could valuebet against.

That's why I usually prefer to keep good but not great hands in my calling range so that he still has stuff like AJ against me, and 3bet with either big premiums that I can 3bet/5bet or somewhat trashy hands that we can still c-bet bluff with in 3bet pots (as well as sometimes cooler him).

Obviously if you somehow find out he calls 3bet very light with any broadway or that he does indeed 4bet AK from any position this can change things a lot, but by default I wouldn't assume that tight players call with ranges that you can valuebet all the way with top pairs from AQ nor that they treat AK like the nuts when you 3bet their UTG open raises.

Hope it helps.
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      AQ is a hand that i have struggled with recently...i started off just calling an open raise pre flop and i went broke a few times on q high boards when i really shouldnt have and just got attached....so i just 3 bet now pre and if i get played back at i know to fold...obviously if a tight players raises i just fold sometimes if im outa position...