Good way of learning outs, odds and pot odds?

• holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      I know the theory, I'm just having trouble applying to my game. I can't do the sums in my head quick enough at the table... So is there anything I can do to drill it into my head so I can make calculations before I time out?
  • 3 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Out's is pretty easy, just remember a two card flush draw is 9 outs, OESD is 8 outs, overcards are 6 outs, sets are 2 outs, full house or quads from set are 7 outs on the flop and 10 on the turn, although some of these have to b discounted if you think the villain has something.

TO calculate the percentage of hitting one of your outs use the rule of 2 and 4. If you are able to see both cards from the flop to the river then the chance of you hitting one of your outs is:

THe number of outs x 4

This gives you a rough representation of your chances of hitting your outs, if you are only able to one extra card (eg turn to river or flop to turn) then you multiply your number of outs by 2.

Pot odds, if you're on the micros, is quite easy to estimate. Just look at the amount in the pot and the amount you have to put in, convert that into a fraction and try to simplify it roughly and quickly :)
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Thanks. I think I might deal cards out and work it out down on paper for a bit just to get the mental process there. I get a bit panicky when I see the clock ticking down, lol.
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Get a calculator?