This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Instructional sample hands #13

• Poll
    • What is the correct move here and why?

call
        34%
        all-in
        26%
        fold
        21%
        reraise
        17%
        leave the table
        1%
        try to check
        0%
      Total: 70 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Blinds: $0.50/$1
      5 players

Stack sizes:
      MP: $12.60
      Hero: $100.50
      Button: $96.50
      SB: $79.65
      BB: $48.50

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with A:heart: K:heart:
      MP calls, [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $5[/color], Button calls, 3 folds.

Flop: 4:diamond: 7:diamond: A:spade: ($12, 2 players)
      [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $9[/color], [color:#cc0000]Button raises to $26[/color], Hero ???

What is the correct move here and why? Opponent is unknown.

a) fold
      b) call
      c) reraise
      d) all-in
      e) leave the table
      f) try to check
  • 26 replies
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I would call and bet/fold the turn if draws dont complete.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I would call, but then on turn it's a lot harder as you've got $70 left in a pot of $64.

If turn is more or less blank and you bet you're 100% committed, but if you check you might give him the free card he needs for his draw to complete on the river. If the draw completes on turn it's easy check/fold.

So if it's possible, can you explain how the hand would be played after the turn even though I might be wrong by just calling flop?

PS, it shows 5 players but the hand says Pre-flop: (6 players) :D
    • gustamaneh
      gustamaneh
      Bronze
      i would reraise, cause he probably doesnt have trips of 4 or 7, cause i dont think he would call with such small pokets. and he also doesnt have AA cause he would reraise pre flop

edit: and if he is trying a flush maybe, u have to bet/raise hard and make him fold
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      he might be raising with the a flush draw and a week kicker . i guess it depends a lot on the behaviour of the player if he raises with draws but its a definetely call maybe a raise in my opinion .
    • Armovic
      Armovic
      Bronze
      I may be way too aggressive and still have a lot to learn, but I'm reraising (perhaps all in) putting this guy on a draw (worst case I think i could be up against a monster draw. 5 :diamond: 6 :diamond: would reraise for sure) or a weaker Ax. A4 and A7 unlikely so we're beating all other Ax. AA very unlikely as a reraise preflop would make sense. 44, 77 .. unlikely callers... AQ, AJ, AT could call a raise on the button any mid pair might stick around and reraise to try to take it down now 88-JJ. But we have no read on this guy, he could be a noob or a shark... I like reraising.

How much?
      $47 in the pot.. hmm not sure if it's the correct play but since my reraise is going to be about 3 times his raise and i've got about $85.. 85 to take down 47? yea i'm ALL IN. I don't think i'm being trapped here.. though i'm not really leaving myself any outs!

looking forward to your responses!
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Call.
      His preflop call could mean anything, but the flop raise, could mean that he hit 2 pair, set, or he could have an A with high kicker. Dont believe he is on QQ+.
      Check/fold the turn unless a good card comes
    • boschman123
      boschman123
      Bronze
      hmm im i the only one who thinks a fold is the best idea?
      we are probebly ahead but every action we take will make us commited in what looks like a coinflip. i dont know the guy, i'll wait 'till i have some decent reads on him. why should i gamble? i will pick a better spot to take his money, he coldcalled and made a good firm raise so he will be willing to play some other time.

have fun all and just call me chicken, i call it smart.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Either call or all-in.

Lets have a look at the cards that could beat you:

44, A7, A4: doubtful. Even donkey call-stations would fold to a 5xBB preflop bet here.

77: Possible. He's got nice position and implied odds suggest that he should play this hand

AA: Possible, although no reraise? It's possible though as he has position and there is no need to "increase the volatility of the pot".

AQ, AK, possibly AJs: Very possible, definitely situations here where I'd call in with these hands.

Weighing it up he's most likely holding A with slightly worse kicker. If he's holding the two hands that can beat you here on a SH table.... : 77 or AA, bad luck.

Personally I'd re-raise hoping to have some fold equity lest he hits one of those 3 outs (assuming he's AQ or AJ).
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by boschman123
      hmm im i the only one who thinks a fold is the best idea?
      we are probebly ahead but every action we take will make us commited in what looks like a coinflip. i dont know the guy, i'll wait 'till i have some decent reads on him. why should i gamble? i will pick a better spot to take his money, he coldcalled and made a good firm raise so he will be willing to play some other time.

have fun all and just call me chicken, i call it smart.
      I think you should fold too. He (clearly) shows that he has set I think (77).
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I'm with Boschman and timu. Fold, we don't know him. We have nothing in there yet. A set is absolutely possible here, and this is a strong raise. Take notes, and wait for some stats. TPTK in this situation isn't enough, I don't think.
    • Qastorimon
      Qastorimon
      Bronze
      I think it's an allin. Villain's range is still quite large and we're certainly ahead. Of course there's the possibility that villain holds 44, 77, A4 or A7, but on a shorthanded table he could also reraise with a lot of other hands like flushdraws, ATo+ and some pocketpairs.
      Reraising commits us anyway, so it's an allin.
    • masterxcvt
      masterxcvt
      Bronze
      i would fold here . we invested only 14$ , why should we go allin on such a hand ...he is bigstack he could have called with A4,A7suited and hit 2 pair , pocket 77s and pocket 44s. it's very likely it's a coinflip or we are slight favourites but the pot is going to get big and commit us. so fold me (chicken).
      i would wait for a better hand
    • Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      I would go all-in. his raise intention might be to just bluff, to semi bluff with his flush draw, ofcourse there is the posibility that he has A4, or A7, or maybe a set. but his hand range is probably bigger than just those hands. he might evin think you were bluffing at him.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I have no clue here... NL players tend to be very weak so fold might be correct but I voted all-in in the rush. :D
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Bronze
      Either fold or all in. We haven't yet contributed much to the pot. On this limit I would assume unknown player as a good player and reevaluate this assumption during the game. I voted fold.
    • LC55CL
      LC55CL
      Bronze
      As to me, the worst thing to do is to call. You don't know where you stand if you do that, it is the weakest play.
      There's 2 solutions: all in or fold. I'll go all in 90% of the time and fold 10% (when i am way ahead in my session and i don't need to take risks anymore).
      The villain can put you on a steal blind attempt PF and and a cbet on the flop i might reraise with all kind of hands. And we beat the vast majority except trips.

I think we are a big favourite here and i'll defintely go all in. If he has trips we lose, it happens. As to me, going all in is EV+.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      stats would be nice:) Against unknown I would call and bet/fold turn. Folding is a little weak and all-in isn´t the best idea, because I should still get away and tptk isn´t good enough to me.
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Without a read this is an easy fold, our line looks like AK, board is pretty dry, he either is doing this with 56s or set/2pair.

What LCLLCL says looks rather irrational to me, why would u call if u run bad, and fold if u run good, its the EV that matters, and nothing else. U could be playing a great session, and still wind up loosing, or the other way around.
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      I have no clue here... NL players tend to be very weak so fold might be correct but I voted all-in in the rush. :D
      NLHE is a game for pessimists, LHE is a game for optimists~!