[NL2-NL10] Instructional sample hands #13

• Poll
    • What is the correct move here and why?

call
        34%
        all-in
        26%
        fold
        21%
        reraise
        17%
        leave the table
        1%
        try to check
        0%
      Total: 70 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Blinds: $0.50/$1
      5 players

Stack sizes:
      MP: $12.60
      Hero: $100.50
      Button: $96.50
      SB: $79.65
      BB: $48.50

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with A:heart: K:heart:
      MP calls, [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $5[/color], Button calls, 3 folds.

Flop: 4:diamond: 7:diamond: A:spade: ($12, 2 players)
      [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $9[/color], [color:#cc0000]Button raises to $26[/color], Hero ???

What is the correct move here and why? Opponent is unknown.

a) fold
      b) call
      c) reraise
      d) all-in
      e) leave the table
      f) try to check
  • 26 replies
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I would call and bet/fold the turn if draws dont complete.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I would call, but then on turn it's a lot harder as you've got $70 left in a pot of $64.

If turn is more or less blank and you bet you're 100% committed, but if you check you might give him the free card he needs for his draw to complete on the river. If the draw completes on turn it's easy check/fold.

So if it's possible, can you explain how the hand would be played after the turn even though I might be wrong by just calling flop?

PS, it shows 5 players but the hand says Pre-flop: (6 players) :D
    • gustamaneh
      gustamaneh
      Bronze
      i would reraise, cause he probably doesnt have trips of 4 or 7, cause i dont think he would call with such small pokets. and he also doesnt have AA cause he would reraise pre flop

edit: and if he is trying a flush maybe, u have to bet/raise hard and make him fold
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      he might be raising with the a flush draw and a week kicker . i guess it depends a lot on the behaviour of the player if he raises with draws but its a definetely call maybe a raise in my opinion .
    • Armovic
      Armovic
      Bronze
      I may be way too aggressive and still have a lot to learn, but I'm reraising (perhaps all in) putting this guy on a draw (worst case I think i could be up against a monster draw. 5 :diamond: 6 :diamond: would reraise for sure) or a weaker Ax. A4 and A7 unlikely so we're beating all other Ax. AA very unlikely as a reraise preflop would make sense. 44, 77 .. unlikely callers... AQ, AJ, AT could call a raise on the button any mid pair might stick around and reraise to try to take it down now 88-JJ. But we have no read on this guy, he could be a noob or a shark... I like reraising.

How much?
      $47 in the pot.. hmm not sure if it's the correct play but since my reraise is going to be about 3 times his raise and i've got about $85.. 85 to take down 47? yea i'm ALL IN. I don't think i'm being trapped here.. though i'm not really leaving myself any outs!

looking forward to your responses!
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Call.
      His preflop call could mean anything, but the flop raise, could mean that he hit 2 pair, set, or he could have an A with high kicker. Dont believe he is on QQ+.
      Check/fold the turn unless a good card comes
    • boschman123
      boschman123
      Bronze
      hmm im i the only one who thinks a fold is the best idea?
      we are probebly ahead but every action we take will make us commited in what looks like a coinflip. i dont know the guy, i'll wait 'till i have some decent reads on him. why should i gamble? i will pick a better spot to take his money, he coldcalled and made a good firm raise so he will be willing to play some other time.

have fun all and just call me chicken, i call it smart.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      Either call or all-in.

Lets have a look at the cards that could beat you:

44, A7, A4: doubtful. Even donkey call-stations would fold to a 5xBB preflop bet here.

77: Possible. He's got nice position and implied odds suggest that he should play this hand

AA: Possible, although no reraise? It's possible though as he has position and there is no need to "increase the volatility of the pot".

AQ, AK, possibly AJs: Very possible, definitely situations here where I'd call in with these hands.

Weighing it up he's most likely holding A with slightly worse kicker. If he's holding the two hands that can beat you here on a SH table.... : 77 or AA, bad luck.

Personally I'd re-raise hoping to have some fold equity lest he hits one of those 3 outs (assuming he's AQ or AJ).
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by boschman123
      hmm im i the only one who thinks a fold is the best idea?
      we are probebly ahead but every action we take will make us commited in what looks like a coinflip. i dont know the guy, i'll wait 'till i have some decent reads on him. why should i gamble? i will pick a better spot to take his money, he coldcalled and made a good firm raise so he will be willing to play some other time.

have fun all and just call me chicken, i call it smart.
      I think you should fold too. He (clearly) shows that he has set I think (77).
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I'm with Boschman and timu. Fold, we don't know him. We have nothing in there yet. A set is absolutely possible here, and this is a strong raise. Take notes, and wait for some stats. TPTK in this situation isn't enough, I don't think.
    • Qastorimon
      Qastorimon
      Bronze
      I think it's an allin. Villain's range is still quite large and we're certainly ahead. Of course there's the possibility that villain holds 44, 77, A4 or A7, but on a shorthanded table he could also reraise with a lot of other hands like flushdraws, ATo+ and some pocketpairs.
      Reraising commits us anyway, so it's an allin.
    • masterxcvt
      masterxcvt
      Bronze
      i would fold here . we invested only 14$ , why should we go allin on such a hand ...he is bigstack he could have called with A4,A7suited and hit 2 pair , pocket 77s and pocket 44s. it's very likely it's a coinflip or we are slight favourites but the pot is going to get big and commit us. so fold me (chicken).
      i would wait for a better hand
    • Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      I would go all-in. his raise intention might be to just bluff, to semi bluff with his flush draw, ofcourse there is the posibility that he has A4, or A7, or maybe a set. but his hand range is probably bigger than just those hands. he might evin think you were bluffing at him.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I have no clue here... NL players tend to be very weak so fold might be correct but I voted all-in in the rush. :D
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Bronze
      Either fold or all in. We haven't yet contributed much to the pot. On this limit I would assume unknown player as a good player and reevaluate this assumption during the game. I voted fold.
    • LC55CL
      LC55CL
      Bronze
      As to me, the worst thing to do is to call. You don't know where you stand if you do that, it is the weakest play.
      There's 2 solutions: all in or fold. I'll go all in 90% of the time and fold 10% (when i am way ahead in my session and i don't need to take risks anymore).
      The villain can put you on a steal blind attempt PF and and a cbet on the flop i might reraise with all kind of hands. And we beat the vast majority except trips.

I think we are a big favourite here and i'll defintely go all in. If he has trips we lose, it happens. As to me, going all in is EV+.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      stats would be nice:) Against unknown I would call and bet/fold turn. Folding is a little weak and all-in isn´t the best idea, because I should still get away and tptk isn´t good enough to me.
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Without a read this is an easy fold, our line looks like AK, board is pretty dry, he either is doing this with 56s or set/2pair.

What LCLLCL says looks rather irrational to me, why would u call if u run bad, and fold if u run good, its the EV that matters, and nothing else. U could be playing a great session, and still wind up loosing, or the other way around.
    • Laurenz1988
      Laurenz1988
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      I have no clue here... NL players tend to be very weak so fold might be correct but I voted all-in in the rush. :D
      NLHE is a game for pessimists, LHE is a game for optimists~!