getting crushed

• huyphan
      huyphan
      Bronze
      being card dead for all day, getting AA KK and AK a few times, but cannot win a big pot ( why the hell everyone always fold when I have a strong hand ?( ), lost 1-2 BB after around 4 hours and I decided to wait for the blind to come before sitting out, and then this happened

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $1.75
      BU:
      $6.77
      SB:
      $10.46
      BB:
      $5.00
      UTG1 (Hero):
      $4.91
      UTG2:
      $5.00
      MP1:
      $5.72
      MP2:
      $3.52
      MP3:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with Q, Q.
      Hero raises to $0.20, 6 folds, SB calls $0.18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.45) 9, J, 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, SB raises to $1.70, Hero raises to $3.80, SB raises to $6.10, Hero calls $0.91.

Turn: ($11.06) 3 (2 players)

River: ($11.06) 5 (2 players)

Final Pot: $11.06.
      Results follow:

SB shows three of a kind, nines(9 9).
      Hero shows a pair of queens(Q Q).

SB wins with three of a kind, nines(9 9).

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $6.72
      MP3:
      $8.02
      CO (Hero):
      $5.16
      BU:
      $12.07
      BB:
      $5.00
      UTG1:
      $4.43
      UTG2:
      $3.61
      MP1:
      $4.95

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, A.
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.55) A, 4, 2 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.55, MP2 calls $0.55.

Turn: ($1.65) 8 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.30, MP2 calls $1.30.

River: ($4.25) Q (2 players)
      MP2 bets $4.62(All-In), Hero calls $3.06.

Final Pot: $11.93.
      Results follow:

MP2 shows three of a kind, fours(4 4).
      Hero shows a pair of aces(J A).

MP2 wins with three of a kind, fours(4 4).

could've avoided IMO, but getting playable hand and finally being able to build a big pot kind of made me excited :D , and this two hands pretty sum up what happened to me in the last two days, especially with the QQ hand- every times I have JJ+, and (re)raise, then it would be:

- no one had anything and fold, I get SB + BB, possibly 1-2 extra BB at best :(

- 2-3 callers and the board came 2 higher card (and yes I know at least one of them paired that A or K)

- some one re-raised my KK and showed AA

- some one re-raised my AA and showed AA

- some one re-raised my pp with a smaller one and beat me with set/quad

I can remain calm if it happens 2 or 3 times, but when it is over a dozens already in 2 days, well I started to lost it X(

If this downswing doesn't end soon, I'm afraid the remaining of my little bankroll might disappear, very soon :evil:
  • 9 replies
    • BOBOsvk
      BOBOsvk
      Bronze

If I dont learn how to play soon, I'm afraid the remaining of my little bankroll might disappear, very soon :evil:
      FYP
    • huyphan
      huyphan
      Bronze
      could be, or cash game may be not for me, since I feel more comfortable playing SnG, just playing cash game to clear the bonus.
      move down to NL 2 for now
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I'm sure you'll get the hang of cash games if you try hard enough. Just post hands like above in the hand evaluation forums and people can let you know if and where you went wrong. And play more tables if you're card dead forever.
    • huyphan
      huyphan
      Bronze
      ty fryandspicy
      i've played cash game before, but just for fun, and lost money of course :D , this time i'm trying to take it serious.
      about being card dead, i'm guess it also because i'm a bit too nitty, , currently i'm strictly following the SHB, hence i have to fold a lot, and a lot :)
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well if you follow the SHC you can play like 6-8 tables FR with no problem and still have enough time to think about your actions and not get bored in the process. Downswing are normal and happen to everybody. But if you play good downswings are way less brutal. Those hands you posted aren't bad beats, but mostly bad plays.

The river call with AJ is horrible. You don't beat a single hand there he'd be value raising and i really doubt his bluffing the river OOP on that board. There were also no draw that he could bluff with.

With QQ there its kinda unlucky that he hit a set, but you can never be to happy about getting it in there on the flop. Hits his range and he could have some combo draw that your flipping against. Even if he only has K2s you have only 54% equity. So raise-folding that flop against certain opponents is not the worst option.
    • huyphan
      huyphan
      Bronze
      yes i know it was mostly bad play, but, well. after 4 hours with little action I started to get bored :O
      with the AJ hand, I didn't have his stat and was thinking of folding river, then I remembered several time i'd caught loose players with that move, so ... :f_cry:

btw is there any good book for micro stake FR ?
    • cowvun
      cowvun
      Bronze
      I don't think he'll be putting you all in with a worse hand than queens at that spot. He's not going to do that with something like AJ, TPTK. He could have something like top pair with a flush draw, but that's the worse he'll be putting you in with. Usually, at those spots, he's got 2 pair, set, an overpair aces or kings or some big draw.
      Unless, you have some kind of read on him, i don't think that was such a great play.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      @cowvun He can't have TP+a flushdraw on that board. However when he puts you all-inn he still can have hands with lots of equity. He can have some sort of flush + strait draws there and flush + overcards in which case you have around 50% equity, or he has some sort of 2 pair or sets in which case your way behind. Only hand that your ahead of is AJ.

But thats not my point. The point is that this is not a downswing, but mostly bad plays which is not that much of a problem at all since your only starting to play poker. You can change that by improving your game, try using hand evaluation forums and do a session review after your done playing. It doesn't take that long to go trough the big hands after every session if you have HEM. There's also many video's on low stakes which are the best way to learn imo.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by huyphan
      btw is there any good book for micro stake FR ?
      It's not specifically aimed at micro-stakes FR but you can't go wrong with the book "professional no-limit hold'em" published by twoplustwo. (For more advanced players they have a sequel in the form of an e-book "small stakes no-limit holdem" which is exceptional imo)

There are also many articles/videos on pokerstrategy.com ;) That's partly what the site is for, so make use of them and your game will no doubt improve.

Good luck