[NL2-NL10] NL 10 hit set, maximizing value against solid reg

• Pichux
      Pichux
      Bronze
      ***** Hand History for Game 2432956626 ***** (IPoker)
      $10.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Thursday, September 16, 01:04:41 ET 2010
      Table Cile (Real Money)
      Seat 5 is the button
      Seat 1: sttan ( $10.48 USD )
      Seat 3: dementej ( $10.34 USD )
      Seat 5: C011039 ( $5.37 USD )
      Seat 6: Cooolls ( $10.05 USD )
      Seat 8: Piters1990 ( $26.20 USD )
      Seat 10: Kilgur ( $10.14 USD )
      Cooolls posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
      Piters1990 posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Piters1990 [ 8 :spade: 8 :club:]
      Kilgur folds
      sttan raises [$0.35 USD]
      dementej folds
      C011039 folds
      Cooolls folds
      Piters1990 calls [$0.25 USD]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 2 :club: , 3 :spade: , 8 :heart: ]
      Piters1990 bets [$0.40 USD]
      sttan calls [$0.40 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ A :spade: ]
      Piters1990 checks
      sttan bets [$1.15 USD]
      Piters1990 calls [$1.15 USD]
      ** Dealing River ** [ 5 :diamond: ]
      Piters1990 bets [$3.00 USD]
      sttan folds

Vilain: 20/18/5 on 964h sample

How do you think, whats the best line here to extract value? I've seen this player pretty much, he's multitabling 3-4 tables usually and shows a really good and solid style of play. Thats because i thought that a check/call will be seen as a great amount of strength. Thats why i went for some unstandart play, which i usually don't take and made a small donkbet, to induce a bluff and to just make him think a bit more. When the A hits on turn, its great for me, because it should be a scare card for me, so he is betting here many times. How about river? I believe, that he is capable of laying down even some lower A here, but if he doesn't have it, i rarely see him trying to bluff the river. His Agg stats tell the same with only 14% AF on river against about 50% on flop and turn.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd usually just check/raise the flop and expect a better than average regular to start asking himself questions as to what the hell I could have on such a dry board. The problem is that even if they ask themselves that question, most of them will still end up folding instead of trying to do something about the fact that you could be full of shit in that spot very often.

So I don't mind donking out instead. I'd make it smaller tho, mostly because all the guys I've seen donking out with a weak pair from the blinds made it about half pot. So when trying to look like an idiot, why not take the bet sizing of the real ones :p The problem is that often when you donk and he raises, whatever you do will freeze up the action a lot. If you 3bet unless you coolered his overpair he just won't continue, if you just call he won't continue either unless he binks a nutted barrel card or makes a top pair on the turn. At that point you just have to check the turn to him and hope for the best.

As played I don't mind your turn check because if he has the A he will definitely bet it on his own, same thing if he somehow floated with stuff like KQ, and if he just had a random pocket pair he probably won't call 3 bets with it anyway so we'll be fine just trying to get a call out of him on the river more often than not.

From there:

- a turn check/raise just looks very strong unless you think he won't believe it, in which case it's the best way to extract a lot of value from turned Ax hands which he can have quite often.

- a turn check/call looks weak but it's hard to extract more than one bet afterward, especially if he's not good enough to try and bluff at it twice and/or can't valuebet Ax on the river again, both of which make check/raising the river dicey and pretty much force you to donk out instead to make sure he doesn't check everything back.

Hope it helps.