Using HEM to plug leaks

• LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Hey guys, I'm wondering if there's any good (functional, time effective) way of finding leaks using HEM filters. From what I see cash game players use it quite a bit, but I never saw any discussion about it for SNGs.
  • 3 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      A big obstacle for SNG players is that our goal is to gain equity, but HEM primarily keeps track of chips. It is easy to see when you are gaining or losing chips using HEM, but not where you are gaining or losing equity.

One principle to use is that you should be gaining both chips and equity in all phases of the game (but not each position). The most dominant players do this. So, if you find that you are losing chips at the 50/100 level, then this suggests you can improve.

In early phases, the ICM does not differ much from chip accumulation. So, you can use very similar methods of analysis in early phases of tournaments to the ones used by cash game players. You hope that the marginal hands you play in each situation show a marginal profit. For example, if you find that the hands you open-raise on the button with 9 players left show a clear profit, then it means you are opening too tightly. If you are showing a marginal loss with the hand you believe are marginal opens on the button, then you probably want to tighten up, or improve your blind-stealing otherwise.

Unfortunately, this situational analysis does not work as well when you get closer to the bubble. You may need to gain a significant number of chips when you open on the bubble with a hand to make it worth the risk of playing a big pot.

I plan to show how to use tools like HEM and PT3 to do more advanced analyses in future videos.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Thanks phzon, I'll do this blind level filtering and check it.

Another thing I'm taking a look at is my finish distribution, right now for my past 3300+ games (all 9mans, same stake) is:

1st: 13.0%
      2nd:10.8%
      3rd: 13.2%
      4th: 12.6%
      5th: 13.7%
      6th: 14.0%
      7th: 11.5%
      8th: 6.9%
      9th: 4.3%

Does it mean (or at least implies) I'm getting it in too lightly when it's 5-6 handed? Can I take any conclusion solely based on the distribution?
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      You can sometimes draw conclusions from your finish distribution, but nothing jumps out at me.

It is natural to have many finishes around 6th place. Those include times you never get much above your starting stack, and then you lose an all-in confrontation as the blinds rise to more than 1/10 of your stack. These do not mean you made any mistake. They balance the low 9th and 8th place finishes.

That you have 13.0% first place finishes means that on average, you accumulate chips in the tournament. 11.1% is par, and would mean you break even in chips on average.

It is a popular notion that you should have many first and third place finishes, and few second place finishes. However, that is not necessarily correct. Once you are in the money, you are still risk-averse, and a significant amount of your equity comes from the second place prizes. Some winning players have more second place finishes than third.