[NL2-NL10] NL5 Rush AK - missed flop - cbet called

• ILuvBeachVB
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K.
      UTG1 raises to $0.20, 6 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, BB folds, UTG1 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.25) 9, 7, Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.77, UTG1 calls $0.77.

Turn: ($2.79) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 checks.

River: ($2.79) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 bets $1.00, Hero folds, UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.79.

This exact hand has happened to me countless times. I 3bet AK, I miss the flop & my cbet gets called. Villain checks behind on the turn, then bets on the river. What's a better way to play this?

No stats on villain...rush poker.
  • 2 replies
    • Duudalinja

I think someone will write better overall plan, but I think there is nothing much to do in spots like these. Blind barreling may become just too costly and your main point is to have some FE preflop, chance to take down with cbet and hit sometimes - overall that should make profit.
      At this given case I wouldn't 3bet, because unless he is really loose UTG, I tend to give rather strongish range of AT+/pp to UTG raises, so he is going to fold most of his weak aces and low pp (if he is ever raising them there), so you are left with a pretty ugly range against which you have to mostly hit and that means cbetting when you miss won't be as profitable as it may be against MP/CO/BTN in 3bet pot.

Good luck!
    • MaestroOfZerg

That's just what happens when villain flops a Q really. You'll playing it fine by not putting any more money in past the turn. I don't expect anybody to be taking a call flop check back turn bet river line as a bluff especially on that T card that hits a lot of the random draws he could have had on the flop, which they probably aren't going to valuebet either. Tho if he's a fish he might merge a ton of stuff into a river bet.

If you want to convince yourself of that just throw away a few $ calling that river bet a few times and I guarantee you you'll see you're simply no good there with AK-high.

Hope it helps.