Addicted...!!!??? Will U give me advice?

• JohnTheGreatest
      JohnTheGreatest
      Silver
      Hello!

My name is "miljonszalie" and I'm addicted to poker. Guess I have to start by saying that. :(

Before I started to play poker, I had many outside activities: gym, workouts, more parties and so on.

BUT I just can't stop:

1) Playing poker

2) Study poker (just love PS.com videos, articles,I work with SnG wizard a lot, PokerStove and all other stuff like ICM and so on)

3)THINK OF POKER. (both game and money)

The thing is I have already read all available psichology articles (twice) on pokerstrategy.com and I know theoretically how to deal with things, but emotionally I just can't stop.

The thing is I'm running good actually, I play micros (SnG) and last 4 weeks I've won $170 (playin $2 limit). So this is extra boost for why can't I stop, cause winning money due to invested work and uderstanding this game, makes this such a great thing!!!

And this thing in my mind that I actually start uderstand poker theory, that I can beat those limits, EARN MONEY cause of work I've invested in this game.

This all just makes me play, learn, study.....and so on, so on.......

And I know there is life outside poker...

ADVICES??????????????????????????????????????????????????

p.s.
      I guess it sounds like this: "GET A LIFE!!!"
  • 46 replies
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      There's nothing wrong with passion. If you were keen on playing volleyball, would you see it as a problem? You're not a gambler and playing poker has many benefits like earning money and developing calm and calculative mindset which will become useful somewhere else in your life.

Being addicted to drugs/smoke/alcohol/MMORPG is bad because these things won't improve you, but will destroy your health and (not that important) take your money.

But who would say that top scientist or athlete is a hopeless addict of what they do? It's great that they're are passionate about what they do and want to constantly improve to become the best or to achieve something.

Sorry about my limited English, I would surely express myself much better in Estonian. Anyways, if you enjoy poker more than the rest of your life, why not stick to it and see how it goes? Who are they to tell you what your life should be?
      Bronze
      As with anything in life a healthy balance is a must.

It is a good thing you are not depositing and depositing while you are playing poker but the earnings
      from your time playing poker may not exceed the costs of your health and mental wellness if it totally
      consumes your social life and your family / physical life.

In order to stay sharp at the tables and retain the mental focus needed for hours on end your body
      must also be in good health.

May I suggest incorporating the rest of your life into poker by making it for the good of poker
      while poker is your prime choice for an activity?

For example, head to the gym and workout and while you are there understand that it is for your health
      so that you have a better performance level when you play poker.

Having one thing totally take over your life is not a good thing IMO since lack of balance always
      tips the scales.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well considering your doing good and still play 2$ games your addiction is not that long term yet. And i don't see that as a problem if you just started out and are excited about the game, especially since you seem to be good at it.

And like the guy before me said, there's many other addictions that are much worse then poker. Just check out how many people is addicted to WoW lol :)

But in long term it wont hurt if you spend 2 hours in a gym 3 times a week. Or go out on the weekend and party since you earned it. But if you start making decent money from poker you also can't go crazy and party everyday. You just need a healthy balance, you can't spend 12hours+ a day playing poker everyday for the rest of your life because you will burn out in a few months.
    • JohnTheGreatest
      JohnTheGreatest
      Silver
      Tnx, guyzz!

This is really good, that other players understand and support me, ty a lot. :)

I'm actually playing seriously about 3 months, before that I played without much learning and studying, and then uderstood that u can't be a winning player without studying this game.

Yep, next week also uni starts much more seriously than before (just lectures previous weeks), now will be more practice.

So yeah, thanks - I already go for jogging/bycicle 2-3 times per week to keep myself fit, I know how important it is, cause before this I seriously was doing freestyle-wrestling, and that's why maybe I have this competition spirit, so I wanna be the best!

Yeah, this is golden rule II (first is for pzhon's video ):

"As with anything in life a healthy balance is a must." - tnx 8979687

I must run good not just at poker table. =)

I appreciate this, ty, MatejM47, 8979687 and taavi1337,
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Dude... I know exactly what you mean. When I go drinking with mates and get pretty f*cked I just have random hand combinations appearing in my head... different flops, turns, villain betting patterns, all kinds of shit. Am I addicted? Almost certainly. Do I still go to parties and the gym and university? Absolutely.

Best thing to do: Set yourself limits. Say like "I'm going to spend ___ time studying poker per week, and play X sets of SnGs (you play SnGs right? well, ___ hrs if you're playing cash) per week. If you can't stick to the limits you set yourself, there are options in most poker sites to restrict your own playing (but that probably shouldn't be necessary).

And just remember that poker is something you do for fun, not something you HAVE to do :D
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Dude... There is a very simple test to see if it is too much.

Would you rather have sex, or play poker? If you are a man, and you choose poker, then there is a problem. If you choose sex, everything is fine!

:s_biggrin:
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Nothing wrong with a WoW addiction imo. :f_cool:
      Typically it's much better for people with addictive personalities to choose WoW over alcohol, gambling, smoking etc.

You can't help what you are, you can only try to channel your addictions into positive past times, like I did with poker. :s_biggrin:
    • JohnTheGreatest
      JohnTheGreatest
      Silver
      Originally posted by gedwashere91
      When I go drinking with mates and get pretty f*cked I just have random hand combinations appearing in my head... different flops, turns, villain betting patterns, all kinds of shit.
      :D I laughed this pretty much, ged, but yeah, tnx for all of ur answers.

and +1 for hackbinder, lol. :s_biggrin: everything is fine dude! :s_love:
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hackbinder

Would you rather have sex, or play poker? If you are a man, and you choose poker, then there is a problem. If you choose sex, everything is fine!

Now just hold on a second here.....

What if you are a man in PRISON?? Serving hard time and you had the choice? Still pick SEX??
    • royalbulet
      royalbulet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 8979687

Now just hold on a second here.....

What if you are a man in PRISON?? Serving hard time and you had the choice? Still pick SEX??
      ROFLAMO , laughed so hard :) )))
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze

ok what about if your on the final table of a 5000 person tourney with a first prize of 20K, as the big stack and the person of your choice offers sex but only then and there.

poker or sex?
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by evertonroar

ok what about if your on the final table of a 5000 person tourney with a first prize of 20K, as the big stack and the person of your choice offers sex but only then and there.

poker or sex?
      if you choose sex would that have to mean you can't get back into the tourney after missing only a few hands, or is it a mandatory 2 hours sex

-if 2 hours then I choose the sex, as the person of my choice would be my gf, and to me she's worth more than 20k (don't ask me to put a price tho.. WSOP final table? would be very tough decision)
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      i guess you can go back. if your timing is right you may not even miss a blind........
    • Raykoid666
      Raykoid666
      Bronze
      Look at it this way, this is passion and you're earning money

some people can even make a good living out of poker and make a daily salary worth out of it

now if you ever get that far, you have to think:

play poker 9 hours a day and win money while having fun
      OR
      doing a boring job and get the same amount of money

you know it's not really realistic for most people, though for some it is

in my honest opinion, real addiction would be if you keep losing and still can't stop playing poker after losing your entire bankroll countless times
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gavinonymous

poker or sex?
      if you choose sex would that have to mean you can't get back into the tourney after missing only a few hands, or is it a mandatory 2 hours sex

-if 2 hours then I choose the sex, as the person of my choice would be my gf, and to me she's worth more than 20k (don't ask me to put a price tho.. WSOP final table? would be very tough decision)

em, this would be quite strange if for real :D

And to answer evertonroar's question, i'd go for money. Every few seconds, i would think about the table -> decreased quality of sex.
    • PtiiiPtaaa
      PtiiiPtaaa
      Bronze
      Dude... I know exactly what you mean. When I go drinking with mates and get pretty f*cked I just have random hand combinations appearing in my head... different flops, turns, villain betting patterns, all kinds of shit. Am I addicted? Almost certainly. Do I still go to parties and the gym and university? Absolutely.

Best thing to do: Set yourself limits. Say like "I'm going to spend ___ time studying poker per week, and play X sets of SnGs (you play SnGs right? well, ___ hrs if you're playing cash) per week. If you can't stick to the limits you set yourself, there are options in most poker sites to restrict your own playing (but that probably shouldn't be necessary).

And just remember that poker is something you do for fun, not something you HAVE to do :D
      Damn, same here:P

How do I make myself stopping this? Just walking over outside and sometimes just a hand comes up in my head, what could i have done better and so on.

Ptiii Ptaaa
    • Vildcz
      Vildcz
      Bronze
      Same here :D
      Last night I had a dream that I visited my girlfriend's mom and asked her, if I could go out with her and play poker with her (wtf!). Today I woke up and the first thing that I thought about was if I can push KTo on the bubble. I don't think I'm addicted, I just think a lot about poker.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze

poker or sex?
      Thats basically the same as saying would you like a bucket of KFC or $100... I'd take the $100 then buy some KFC.
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      I just have random hand combinations appearing in my head... different flops, turns, villain betting patterns, all kinds of shit.
      I guess a lot of us are similar :f_biggrin: Live poker!!! :f_biggrin: