[NL2-NL10] NL10, KQs taking the reg by surprise

• Pichux
      Pichux
      Bronze
      ***** Hand History for Game 2434757832 ***** (IPoker)
      $10.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Friday, September 17, 08:07:34 ET 2010
      Table Rewo (Real Money)
      Seat 10 is the button
      Seat 1: buree08 ( $2.90 USD )
      Seat 3: Piters1990 ( $18.62 USD )
      Seat 5: Saimon19 ( $6.87 USD )
      Seat 6: PoNFi23 ( $2.85 USD )
      Seat 8: letsflip4rolls1 ( $15.66 USD )
      Seat 10: vanag ( $3.14 USD )
      buree08 posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
      Piters1990 posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Piters1990 [ K :spade: Q :spade: ]
      Saimon19 folds
      PoNFi23 folds
      letsflip4rolls1 raises [$0.40 USD]
      vanag folds
      buree08 folds
      Piters1990 calls [$0.30 USD]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 5 :club: , 6 :club: , A :spade: ]
      Piters1990 checks
      letsflip4rolls1 bets [$0.50 USD]
      Piters1990 raises [$1.50 USD]
      letsflip4rolls1 calls [$1.00 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 2 :spade: ]
      Piters1990 checks
      letsflip4rolls1 checks
      ** Dealing River ** [ 5 :heart: ]
      Piters1990 checks
      letsflip4rolls1 bets [$1.00 USD]
      Piters1990 raises [$4.00 USD]
      letsflip4rolls1 folds

Villain: 24/20/2.8 on 644h sample. With a read, that he doesn't like to play just fit-or-fold postflop.

After this hand i was very happy with myself, although really doubted, that something like this should be done often on these limits. But, as i played it. This is a player i have seen a while, playing on 2-3 tables. He doesn't like the overly passive side of the game. Likes to play back a bit more pre, then average reg and also is pretty resistant on flop. That's why i didn't gave his cbet/call too much credit. After my double check on the later streets, i assume that i show just a busted bluff. Here i believe, that he's valuebetting some lower aces. It was because of the 1/4 pot bet, that made me brave enough to make that crazy re-raise. I knew, that he is still a reg, so i figured, that i must represent here, that i am trying to extract value with my bet. Still, i understand, that you should never do this on the low limit, but i'm still curious what the judges have to say about this? :f_cool:
  • 5 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Actually I'd be much more likely to pull that move on lower stakes than higher ones. Here is why: you're not representing anything.

All the strong hands that raise the flop for value should bet on that turn, hence when you don't your range is mostly made up of pure bluffs and clubs semibluffs, all of which whiffed on the river. I guess some players could show up with 5x there because they're used to using bottom pair hands as 5-outing semibluffs but it's a very remote possibility at nl10 ring games.

Thus, the better at handreading villain is, the more likely he is to not believe you, meaning while low stakes players might just decide they have nothing and give up, a player such as the guy you describe but who's better at hand reading might just decide you have nothing at all and call you with 99 or jam over with whatever.

Taking that into account as well as your read that villain is mostly weak when he bet/calls the flop, I don't really mind your river bluff. It's possible you get him to fold Ax some of the time and often he has weaker than that, maybe even nothing, which he won't be able to do much with other than folding.

You can also call the river if you want to risk less. KQ-high beats most of the busted draws unless he made a pair somehow in which case he often won't bet out and try to check it down instead, this way you only lose $1 instead of $4 if he does have Ax and he's not ready to fold it. Chances are it'll really piss him off as well if you're right :D Not such a good option if villain is just bad enough to merge all random pairs into a river (block)bet since then you'll be good a lot less often.

Hope it helps.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Of course you can do that on low-limits. If you only want to win money then yeah it is not necessary to do that on low-limits. But for the sake of developing poker skills and getting used to bluffing, it is definitely worth practicing bluffs on low-limits.

That being said, I agree with the judge that your line is just too weird and does not represent anything.
    • syberking
      syberking
      Bronze
      how come you dont bet your nutflushdraw?
    • syberking
      syberking
      Bronze
      btw i do that kind of bluffs alot if someone show this weakness he will almost always fold
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

If he has Ax he's not folding the turn, if he has 6x/5x he picked up some kind of gutshot on the turn with a good chunk of these, if he has clubs he's probably not folding yet either. So with us being out of position with very little showdown value (not enough to check/call the river after betting the turn most likely) and the possiblity of villain decided to shove the turn with whatever which we can't call, it's not such a good spot for firing another barrel imo. If you want to, go ahead, you're in charge as you'll always be.

Hope it helps.