This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL 10 A9, hitting the 9 on draw heavy board

• Pichux
      Pichux
      Bronze
      ***** Hand History for Game 2435572941 ***** (IPoker)
      $10.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Saturday, September 18, 12:56:39 ET 2010
      Table Cuhap (Real Money)
      Seat 5 is the button
      Seat 1: letsflip4rolls1 ( $13.62 USD )
      Seat 3: fevil dish ( $10.42 USD )
      Seat 5: Piters1990 ( $10.00 USD )
      Seat 8: Demsen ( $10.99 USD )
      Seat 10: kevb16 ( $11.58 USD )
      Demsen posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
      kevb16 posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Piters1990 [ 9 :spade: A :club: ]
      letsflip4rolls1 folds
      fevil dish calls [$0.10 USD]
      Piters1990 raises [$0.45 USD]
      Demsen folds
      kevb16 folds
      fevil dish calls [$0.35 USD]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 5 :heart: , 7 :diamond: , 9 :diamond: ]
      fevil dish checks
      Piters1990 bets [$0.78 USD]
      fevil dish calls [$0.78 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 3 :spade: ]
      fevil dish bets [$1.30 USD]
      Piters1990 calls [$1.30 USD]
      ** Dealing River ** [ K :heart: ]
      fevil dish bets [$3.90 USD]
      Piters1990 folds

Villain: 32/4/0.8 on 224h sample, with a fish tag and a read, that he doesn't fold 2nd and 3rd pairs on the flop to a re-raise.

Got myself in a pretty ugly spot here. I think i shouldn't have cbet him on this board, but possibly just didn't saw the flop because of multitabling. Also the turn call is questionable. I think it would be much better to check back the flop. Then call the turn, and try to get a cheap showdown on the river. Here on the river it just gets too expensive IMHO.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm definitely betting the flop for value against a guy who seemingly can't fold any pair to 2 bets, he can have all sorts of worse pairs and/or random draws in that spot, it's just disastrous to check back the flop against a bad player here in my opinion.

Turn is the real tough spot, even tho it seems like a pretty standard call for most people. The truth is, you'll rarely see a player so passive suddenly lead the turn with a made hand that TPTK beats, so you're kinda bluff-catching already quite often. Either you expect villain to be able to take that line with draws and it's a fine call, or you don't and then you're mostly just burning money by calling.

Since I'd expect this guy to check/call again with stuff I beat and I have no real way of improving to beat the strong hands on that board or even knowing if I'm good, and on the off-chance he does play a draw like that sometimes I'll still be screwed on 9 rivers + random overcards he might hit without us knowing, I prefer just throwing in the towel on the turn instead of guessing for two streets against a guy who usually just doesn't bet without strong value.

Hope it helps.