[NL2-NL10] NL 10 A9, hitting the 9 on draw heavy board

• Pichux
      Pichux
      Bronze
      ***** Hand History for Game 2435572941 ***** (IPoker)
      $10.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Saturday, September 18, 12:56:39 ET 2010
      Table Cuhap (Real Money)
      Seat 5 is the button
      Seat 1: letsflip4rolls1 ( $13.62 USD )
      Seat 3: fevil dish ( $10.42 USD )
      Seat 5: Piters1990 ( $10.00 USD )
      Seat 8: Demsen ( $10.99 USD )
      Seat 10: kevb16 ( $11.58 USD )
      Demsen posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
      kevb16 posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Piters1990 [ 9 :spade: A :club: ]
      letsflip4rolls1 folds
      fevil dish calls [$0.10 USD]
      Piters1990 raises [$0.45 USD]
      Demsen folds
      kevb16 folds
      fevil dish calls [$0.35 USD]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 5 :heart: , 7 :diamond: , 9 :diamond: ]
      fevil dish checks
      Piters1990 bets [$0.78 USD]
      fevil dish calls [$0.78 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 3 :spade: ]
      fevil dish bets [$1.30 USD]
      Piters1990 calls [$1.30 USD]
      ** Dealing River ** [ K :heart: ]
      fevil dish bets [$3.90 USD]
      Piters1990 folds

Villain: 32/4/0.8 on 224h sample, with a fish tag and a read, that he doesn't fold 2nd and 3rd pairs on the flop to a re-raise.

Got myself in a pretty ugly spot here. I think i shouldn't have cbet him on this board, but possibly just didn't saw the flop because of multitabling. Also the turn call is questionable. I think it would be much better to check back the flop. Then call the turn, and try to get a cheap showdown on the river. Here on the river it just gets too expensive IMHO.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm definitely betting the flop for value against a guy who seemingly can't fold any pair to 2 bets, he can have all sorts of worse pairs and/or random draws in that spot, it's just disastrous to check back the flop against a bad player here in my opinion.

Turn is the real tough spot, even tho it seems like a pretty standard call for most people. The truth is, you'll rarely see a player so passive suddenly lead the turn with a made hand that TPTK beats, so you're kinda bluff-catching already quite often. Either you expect villain to be able to take that line with draws and it's a fine call, or you don't and then you're mostly just burning money by calling.

Since I'd expect this guy to check/call again with stuff I beat and I have no real way of improving to beat the strong hands on that board or even knowing if I'm good, and on the off-chance he does play a draw like that sometimes I'll still be screwed on 9 rivers + random overcards he might hit without us knowing, I prefer just throwing in the towel on the turn instead of guessing for two streets against a guy who usually just doesn't bet without strong value.

Hope it helps.