$5,26
      UTG2:
      $5,93
      MP1:
      $4,03
      CO:
      $5,09

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.88 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5:diamond: , 4:diamond:
      UTG2 raises to $0,10, MP1 calls $0,10, 2 folds, CO raises to $0,30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,25, UTG2 calls $0,20, MP1 calls $0,20, Hero checks, UTG2 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Flop: ($1,22) 9:diamond: , 3:diamond: , 2:heart:
      Turn: ($1,22) 4:heart: (4 players)
      Hero bets $0,95, UTG2 calls $0,95, 2 folds.

River: ($3,12) T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, UTG2 calls $2,00.

Final Pot: $7,12

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows (Qh Qd)
      Hero shows a flush, ten high (5d 4d)

Hero wins with a flush, ten high (5d 4d)

Should I have played it any differently?

I know you shouldn't play 45s oop with a 6BB raise before you, but I just thought that since it'd be a multiway pot I'd win big if I hit since there was at least one or two very good hands out there.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

In theory I agree with you that 54s is a fine hand to play multiway to try and crack big hands, even tho being out of position isn't ideal.

In practice tho, if people have big hands they'll usually get into a 4-betting war preflop meaning you won't get to see a flop. So sometimes you'll just blow 6bb for nothing, and when you do get to see a multiway flop it usually won't be against big pairs, you actually has some reverse implied odds as well since the more people are in the pot, the more likely you are to see somebody with a higher flush/straight if you get all the money in.

Just pitch it unless you're quite sure the pot won't get 4-bet and even then be careful.

As played assuming the flop got checked around indeed, I don't really like the turn bet. Your fold equity against 3 players most of them bad is quite low and just because nobody bet the flop doesn't mean your pair of 4's is ahead, so you're not really betting for value and you're not really semibluffing with lots of fold equity either, making it a relatively weak bet. I'd just check again and see what happens.

As played on the river it's fine obviously.

Hope it helps.
    • neznanec21
      neznanec21
      Bronze
      Thank you for your reply :)

Just one more question if I may;

Why was my turn bet wrong/not good? I knew I didn't have much fold equity and only had a pair of fours, but that 4 actually helped me, since it brought me 2 more outs on the river, another 4 would give me trips which would give me an advantage high PP, but I didn't count 5 as an out because that would make a 4 connector board and any ace would have called an all-in on the river . And I wasn't betting because I had hit pair, I was betting to build up a potential winning pot on the river if I had finished my draw (OESD + flush draw), since the initiative was lost when nobody bet the flop.

I figured with a draw like that, I'd probably check/raise or shove the flop.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well, first you could get raised by somebody on the turn even if it's unlikely it happens, and with those stacks you would have to fold your hand unfortunately.

Second, building up the pot with a combohand when you know you have little to no fold equity is all about getting paid off when you hit later on, which is going to be difficult for a few reasons:

- your diamond outs are rather obvious so people might fold weak hands easily

- nobody seems to have much of anything to pay off with anyway

- you're out of position so you can't get it all-in unless you overbet the river

- sometimes even when you do hit your hand, it still won't be the best hand (better flushes, randomly slowplayed set on the flop that boats up when you hit a 4 and so on)

So usually I'd rather make sure I get to see a river in a smaller pot to keep my options open.

Hope it helps.