SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has J:heart: Q:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.35, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) Q:club: 2:spade: 7:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.50, BB calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.75, 2 players) 7:club:
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.00, BB raises to $2.23, Hero calls $1.23

River: ($6.21, 2 players) 5:heart:

BB shows J:spade: 7:spade: (Three of a Kind, Sevens)
      BB wins $5.80

was this a mistake to call down the river
  • 2 replies
    • Pichux
      Pichux
      Bronze
      First of all, play with a full stack if you are playing BSS. Here i suggest to check back the turn. The turn card is not great at all, he is not folding almost anything that he calls on the flop here. You should take in consideration that your hand is also not the strongest on this board. After the check on the turn i would suggest to try and see a cheap showdown. If the villain bets big on turn and river, i think we can find a pretty easy fold with our hand, we can fing better spots to play for stacks.

Considering that you play with a pretty short stack, i would advise you to read some of the basic articles and watch some microstakes BSS videos, because it seems that you know the basics not very good.

Correct if anything wrong, i mainly play SH, so there could be some mistakes here... :f_grin:
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Only thing Pichux said that I don't like is how villain won't fold anything that he called with on the flop if we bet that turn. Not because it's not true, but because it's not really a concern. Our hand is strong enough that we should be looking for ways to get value out of worse hands against an unknown, not trying to make him folding anything better.

I don't think you can really decide which line is best here without reads. Our top pair isn't that strong yet if villain is very lose he can call down with worse Qx hands and pocket pairs, if he's tight there is no value in betting at all once the 7 pairs. We just can't know.

I'd probably check back the turn and look to be calling a river bet, since villain could bet worse Qx/pocket pair hands himself or random hands he floated with on such a dry flop and there isn't really crystal clear value in bet/calling the turn against an unknown.

Hope it helps.