$22.15
      MP1:
      $5.07
      Hero:
      $7.79
      MP3:
      $8.6

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.88 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T:spade: , 9:spade:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, 2 folds, SB calls $0.05, BB checks, SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, MP3 raises to $0.50, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.30) T:heart: , 5:diamond: , 3:club:
      Turn: ($1.30) 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1.3, Hero calls $1.30.

River: ($3.90) A:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $3.9, Hero calls $3.90.

Final Pot: $11.70

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of tens (Ts 9s)
      MP3 shows (9d 7d)

Hero wins with a pair of tens (Ts 9s)

The river bet made no sense to me. This guy was playing something ridiculus like 56/44 and he checked the flop last to act
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well, villain is playing 57/52/4.5 which usually indicates a stronger player than you'd expect, just because he's actually entering most pots with a raise, which is a trait you'll find among good players a lot. So I think it's more likely he's either a tag running somewhat hot over this 50 hands sample, or a lag / wannabe lag splashing around a lot while still having the basics of poker covered.

Given that I have no idea why he would check back that flop, it seems like a mandatory c-bet to me unless you're scared of getting check/raised a lot (which he shouldn't be at microstakes) or you put villain on a pocket pair and don't think he'll fold to a flop c-bet, in which case unless you have some kind of backdoor equity it might be best to just give it up.

The turn shouldn't change anything so his bet is indeed awkward, mostly it's either a delayed c-bet on the assumption that you would have led out the turn with Tx so you can't have anything strong and you'll check/fold your random overcards, or he picked up some flushdraw/straight draw that gives him equity to bet. So mostly he has nothing on the turn very often, yet he bet pot.

River bet looks just like the turn bet, he bet pot again, probably intending it to be scary so it's an okay scare card for hero's perceived low pairs. I like your call since I don't think he'd bet pot with Ax and he might not bet that big either if he rivered the flush.

Given the showdown, here are villain's thoughts concerning the hand, probably a level slightly higher than what you would expect at nl10:

- flop: I have nothing and he's probably not folding much after limp/calling with a pocket pair, yet I have a few backdoors and my pair outs might be good so we'll see what happens.

- turn: he checked twice such a dry board and the 8 shouldn't hit him too often yet it might be a 2nd overcard to stuff like 44/22/66/77 so a delayed c-bet might make him fold, plus I picked up an OESD so even if he doesn't fold to my bet i still have outs.

- river: the A is scary to any hand that isn't a floated Ax, and chances are hero would donk out sometimes on the river if he had made a flush, so mostly he can't have the flush and he rarely has Ax as well, meaning it's a pretty nutted barreling card that I have to bet at with my air hoping to make him fold any and all lower pairs.

Hope it helps.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      I think villain's leak is his bet size. In a lot of players' eyes, exact potting = thoughtless button clicking. That's why I never bet the exact pot and always use the keyboard :P