$2.31
      CO:
      $0.97
      BU (Hero):
      $2.00
      SB:
      $2.05

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, J.
      MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.08, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.08, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 9, 3, 5 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.43) T (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.30, Hero raises to $0.78, MP2 raises to $1.77, Hero calls $0.99.

River: ($3.97) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.97.

Opponent is more or less unknown.

So I think I played this hand pretty horribly. The call preflop is fine I think because I can reevaluate on the flop and I'm getting the odds to hit a set if he has an overpair. Reraising folds out worse hands but better hands and some hands I flip with will probably call or jam (I can't call a 4bet with JJ can I?).

Then on the flop, I think I should maybe reraise? My thought process at the time was that I could let him hang himself with the overcards that fluffed, but in reality he probably isn't going to bet turn unless a scary card hits, and what do I do if a scary card hits? On the other hand if he then bets the turn on a brick surely it'd be too weak to fold but at the same time what can he do that with that I beat? Tens? On this logic wouldn't a call flop fold turn line be okay too? The reraise on the flop would have to fold to a push, I think.

As played, I reraise on the turn because I don't want to have to hero call a big river bet, but when he jams I SNAP CALL. I have a feeling this is pretty bad because I don't beat much the standard player gets all in with at the best of times, especially not on such a dry board for his likely preflop range. So the call was bad, but is the turn reraise bad? I think it's too weak to just call every river. Is that actually an okay line here?
  • 2 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I would 3bet preflop. Although you are IP you don't want to see any overcards and a T9x, 78x, basically any connected board isn't comfortable because on those he might bet overpair but suited connectors are a good part of his range so he might have flopped 2-pair. I would 3bet pre and let him call something like 99+, AJ+ and go from there IP. Your thought process was fine imo, just that JJ and TT don't really play well postflop even IP. Maybe it's just me though. Personally I might call KK+ IP against some overaggressive opponents, as a trap. But generally I 3bet hands that are ahead of villain's range and I don't feel comfortable playing postflop even if IP. Medium pocket pairs are the best example of such hands.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Preflop is just about different playstyles, I feel fine making postflop decisions in position so I'd rather not get 4-bet off a medium pair unless there is enough value in them calling a 3-bet to justify it, which against some out of position tag there usually isn't imo.

On the turn I'm calling pretty much always and making a decision on the river. Sometimes I'll call sometimes I'll fold depending on sizing and timing, probably call anything reasonable unless I get a bad vibe off it and fold if he does something like potting it or jamming with no reason to think he's crazy.

Hope it helps.