When to switch gear during a session?

• yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      The question is when to get loose/aggressive during a session of 6-max ring game 100bb BI, MICROS (< NL25).

I simply assume proper LAG is profitable and importantly, fun to play in 6-max game. And I feel like I am able to take the variance and keep things under control when I start to play LAG.

But to be honest in real experiences I found myself playing NIT more often than I wanted and LAG less often than I planned. A problem is to find a right time to switch to a LAG mode because when I play NIT and make a profit I usually continue to play like that because I don't want to lose the profit. Only when I lose do I loosen up, which is at least not optimal IMO.

Here are some options:

1) Play loose/aggressively as soon as you sit down on a table.

2) Play tight when you first sit down on a table and after you have some reads then start to loosen up and be more aggressive ASAP. When you don't like your seat you can still quit the table without losing too much.

3) Play tight when you first sit down and after you have some reads you still play tight (assuming you like your seat and remain in the table) until you think you have some sort of table image then start to loosen up and play more aggressively.

4) Start to loosen up and play aggressive when you are losing. This is probably bad but is the case of a lot of my sessions. Usually when I loosen up and increase aggressive level I can come back, which means I should really play like that to begin with?

I know we are supposed to make decisions independent of short-term profit or recent history but it is easier saying than doing.

5) Switch gears between TAG and LAG randomly (e.g., use a randomization device).

6) Play whenever style you feel like at that moment. (Which is some pros suggested but obviously they can keep any style in control and their feeling is very different from ours.)

Please comment. Any suggestion or sharing experience is more than welcomed.
  • 2 replies
    • SiXAT
      SiXAT
      Bronze
      Well if you want to loosen up you shoud know in wich spots to loosen up when and choosing your range properly.
      Play a lot in position this should be in both gears when you play tag or lag in general a tag is a player who has respect for their bets so you can take small pots and it will always look like you have it, a lag on the opposite has the image of a bully so he many times fires and attacks the bllinds preflop.
      anyway as long as you feel that players will pay you off play tag and good hands, if you have respect(very good table image) or a very bad table image you can play lag cause ppl will tighten up agasint you.
      Anyaway its all how you feel the dynamics if the players tighten up you play lag, if they loosen up and play back you tighten up.
      Or if for exampe you pushed someone you should be willing to play agaisnt him tighter changing gears only against that one player.
      agasint fish you should play tag usualy.
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      you adjust to your opponent's tendencies and abuse it.

so when does an opponent fold ? when does he bet ? what is his game plan if he has one ?

observe his tendencies and exploit till he adjusts.