So I've Been taking Shots at NL25

• Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Right, i've been taking some shots at NL25 the past few days and it's been going quite average. But i've noticed something very strange, although I don't feel like i've been playing much different from NL10 i've noticed my non-showdown winnings plummet dramatically.

On NL10 and NL5 I was break-even over (ish) in non-showdown winnings. However, in the last 4,000 hands where i've been playing NL25 they have just plummeted, a LOT. To give you the scale of things, I was about -$15 for the 10,000 hands prior to this switch, and in the last 4,000 hands i'm now at -$100 in Non-showdown winnings. Could this possibly be some subconscious scared money tactic or is there something i'm missing?

• 9 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      You said on NL10 and NL5 ur non-showdown winnings were break-even then how about the -$15?

If your non-showdown winnings are always negative and tend to grow negatively as your volume increase, regardless of the limit you are playing, then it means that you are probably playing a NIT style. Then this pattern is just a natural part of the style. As long as you are making a profit it is fine.

If you WANT to turn your non-showdown winnings around then you must change your game, especially post-flop game.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Well they were pretty much breakeven, obviously varying slightly. Over 55k hands they were always hovering around the breakeven line but then in the past 4,000 hands they just plummeted ridiculously. I don't play a particularly nitty style at all really, i'm thinking more and more that it's a result of moving up the limits and subconsciously playing with scared money a bit. So i'm hoping once I get fully used to playing with more money this will stop :)
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Well on higher stakes the variance is higher so -$70 in 4000 hands does not tell much for NL25.

In general I think floating non-showdown winnings do not tell much about style. But free-falling non-showdown winnings most likely = NIT.
    • nitaidean
      nitaidean
      Bronze
      I'm actually in the exact same situation - just moved up to NL25, played 4k hands there so far. But for me its the opposite - my non showdown winnings (which prior to this on NL10 have been negative) have suddenly taken a turn around and are climbing. It seems like my cbets and bluffs are getting more credit on NL25.

Naturally, 4k is no significant sample size, but odd that we're seeing 2 opposite effects. I'm playing more or less ABC poker, and using stats to make the occasional double barrel bluff or what not against the right opponents.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nitaidean
      It seems like my cbets and bluffs are getting more credit on NL25.
      True. When you move up stakes you will see more TAGs, NITs, and more (rare) good LAGs and less (but still plenty) fishes. In general higher limits = tighter opponents.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I found with FR, my SD winnings used to be -3to4bb/100 with a 3bet% of 2.50. I Have been playing with a 3bet % of 4.50% now and my non SD winnings are break even. So personally i've found 3 betting lighter = profit (Ofcourse against players with high fold to 3bet %).
    • kathleenp980
      kathleenp980
      Basic
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Right, i've been taking some shots at NL25 the past few days and it's been going quite average. But i've noticed something very strange, although I don't feel like i've been playing much different from NL10 i've noticed my non-showdown winnings plummet dramatically.

On NL10 and NL5 I was break-even over (ish) in non-showdown winnings. However, in the last 4,000 hands where i've been playing NL25 they have just plummeted, a LOT. To give you the scale of things, I was about -$15 for the 10,000 hands prior to this switch, and in the last 4,000 hands i'm now at -$100 in Non-showdown winnings. Could this possibly be some subconscious scared money tactic or is there something i'm missing?

Thanks for the post. :f_love: :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:

Bronze
      Yeah, been there, still hurts to think about it. I guess the reason for the drop in non-sd winnings is more aggressive opponents. They constantly try to get you out of the pot. In NL10 people often just check and see what happens so you can see a lot of cheap showdowns with you're marginal (and winning) hands. As somebody said in another forum (he seemed adequate) - you have to make many hero-calls in NL25, especially on the river. Opps like to make big bluffs on flush boards, paired boards, 4-card straight boards etc. So I guess if you have a good read of you're opponent and theres a good chance that he's bluffing you just have to make occasional big calls with TPTK etc.

That's what they said. I'm just forwarding this. I was cannibalized at NL25 so don't listen to anyting I say.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Good to hear ffrom everyone :D

Since I realised this non-SD travesty yesterday I made some adjustments to my game last night. Such as 3betting more and picking my Cbetting spots very carefully. As a result my Non-SD winnings for the 2,000 hands I played last night are slightly above breakeven :)