My MTT Problem

• THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      So I've gone decently deep in a couple low buy in tournaments but I seem to have the same problem later on. I find that I can accumulate chips early on just by playing tight and letting the donks hand there chips to me. Then in the middle stage I win and maybe lose a few flips and have a decent stack. Then comes the late phase and the same thing always happens to me. When my stack gets down to around 20-25BB I try to play aggressive and attack the blinds with any 2 cards (in good spots... try to attack mostly mid stacks) and maybe ill get away with a few but I always eventually get caught stealing after my 2nd or 3rd attempt in late position. Then i'm back to where I started with 20 or less BB because of the antes and I never make it anywhere. And then even if I do catch a hand and get doubled up to 40-50BB the same thing will happen I will try a resteal or some kind of blind steal and my stack will drop back down to 20BB's again.

Is this just how MTT's go or am I doing something wrong? I tend to make my raises about 2x the BB so I dont lose that much if I get caught but it still hurts my stack.

Should I play tighter? Looser? Or is this just standard for everyone in MTT's?

Also should I be more aggressive in the middle stages to try and build a big stack so I can afford to lose some blind steals? I think that would be more +EV because of how the payouts are so top heavy in MTT's.
  • 7 replies
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      It reallly depends on the table but lately i've been finding that 3betting and blindsteals are so frequent you can play relatively tight and do these moves for value rather than as bluffs. I also have changed my raises to 3BB rather than min or 2.5BB again mostly for value

you still only need to steal once per orbit to remain at the same stacksize
    • Monarc2010
      Monarc2010
      Bronze
      Steal less. ANY TWO CARDS IS BAD!There is a pdf for steals and resteals and the suggested cards you do it with in the articles section.

Everytime you try to steal you are risking your stack.
      i read in one of the strategy articles, that for every chip you lose at the latter stage of a MTT, you end up having to win 2 back to make up the difference. In other words save your chips for the higher quality steals. AT least have an ace or king to back you up, its steal a steal but you have at least one card to back you up.

Once you get caught stealing then you have to wait until you get moved to another table before trying again because you will always get called, when you try to steal with the same poeple at the table, unless you very short of the bubble. However it is very nice when they call because they think you are trying to steal and you have AK or a nice pocket pair. Used that to your advantage...

I made a final table this weekend and only played 27 hands to make it.
      I was a middle stack and ended up in 3rd place. I did steal, I did bluff and got my money in good with premium hands. I pushed around the small stacks when ever I could too.

So I just took from that MTT to just pick my spots and be patient and I will be able to steal, bluff and get my money in good with premium habds also.

hope this helps give you some ideas for your MTT's
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Monarc2010
      Steal less. ANY TWO CARDS IS BAD!There is a pdf for steals and resteals and the suggested cards you do it with in the articles section.

i read in one of the strategy articles, that for every chip you lose at the latter stage of a MTT, you end up having to win 2 back to make up the difference. In other words save your chips for the higher quality steals. AT least have an ace or king to back you up, its steal a steal but you have at least one card to back you up.

Once you get caught stealing then you have to wait until you get moved to another table before trying again because you will always get called, when you try to steal with the same poeple at the table, unless you very short of the bubble. However it is very nice when they call because they think you are trying to steal and you have AK or a nice pocket pair. Used that to your advantage...

I was a middle stack and ended up in 3rd place. I did steal, I did bluff and got my money in good with premium hands. I pushed around the small stacks when ever I could too.

So I just took from that MTT to just pick my spots and be patient and I will be able to steal, bluff and get my money in good with premium habds also.

Thanks man Ill have a look at that chart.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      and make sure you run real well. that's the real secret
    • TheRebuz
      TheRebuz
      Platinum

WTF R U TALKING ABOUT????
      NONSENSE, PLAYED ONLY 27 HANDS IN MTT AND FT, ITS NOT POSSIBLE.
      maybe u think u go to show down only 27 hands.
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheRebuz

WTF R U TALKING ABOUT????
      NONSENSE, PLAYED ONLY 27 HANDS IN MTT AND FT, ITS NOT POSSIBLE.
      maybe u think u go to show down only 27 hands.
      Well, I guess it was 18 man 2 table sng...
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      playing 27 hands might be alittle bit too low but until final table you probably play extremelly few hands, only the very best quality hands (unless you are a short stack).
      How are the players on the casion? Do they respect your betting? are they calling stations? Also, what is your true goal of the tourney, do you want to make some money or is winning everything? If you want to make the money you should probably what for better hands then AJ to play with but if you only focus on being NR. 1, I dont see stealing a lot as a chipleader is wrong.
      Again, nothing wrong with stealing pot with AJ but if you know they do not let their hand go, you need to ask yourself if you are willing to risk a big part of your stack with the hand (especiall if you bet 4BB).
      Def. bet less than 4BB in the later stage of the tournament when blinds are that high (people will respect the raise anyways because of all the large BB), can bet 2.5 BB when they get big.
      Hope this helps.