What is a break-even streak all about?

• blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      I think I'm having my first streak of this kind. I say I think because I really don't know how to define it.
      It's a period of some 3 or 4 weeks in which don't matter what I do, when I hit good hands I'm not able to build up a pot like before (people fold, mostly). When I win a pot, it is pretty small. I can play for 2 hours on 4 tables on NL5 and make like $1 between small pots and losses. My game has not changed in those 3 weeks and I was pretty confortable with it, once I was making 8BB/100 on a 60k hands sample.

It is a very interesting arrangement of situations, indeed. It just looks like I should not make any money in this period, no matter what. Like hitting a rock with fists. I'm not complaining about life, poker or something else... I'm just very intrigued about how such things can happen for such long periods of time.

Have you guys had experiences like that before?
  • 6 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I had one like that, but mine only lasted about 8 days. All I can say is, if you think its coming CLOSE to affecting your play. quit your session and do something else!

other than that, putting a little more time in reviewing your hands is a good approach as it will keep your confidence levels up :) , dont forget the hand posting forums :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      You carn measure it in days, just hands.

1 day or 20 days, doesnt mean anything, because it depend on how many hands have been played in both periods....

Anyway i wouldnt worry about it just keep playing.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Alright guys. Thanks for the answers.

I'll quite the tables for a while and study my hand histories, read some articles and watch videos. My day job only allows me some 3 to 4 hours a day to dedicate to poker and I've been just playing instead of studying. Maybe a break could let some new fresh air into my game, know what I mean?

I think things are gonna get better in the next few weeks. Thanks again! :s_cool:
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      You've been playing 8BB/100 for 60K hands and you havn't moved up stakes yet?
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      I think, I know what may have changed. I think it's most probably, you've become lazy searching for profitable tables. If you sit at some table with players who have idea about starting hands to some extend then it's really an expected result. Table and seat selection is becoming more important every day as the edge is becoming smaller between players.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roswellx
      I think, I know what may have changed. I think it's most probably, you've become lazy searching for profitable tables. If you sit at some table with players who have idea about starting hands to some extend then it's really an expected result. Table and seat selection is becoming more important every day as the edge is becoming smaller between players.
      Bull's eye. I've been thinking about that recently. Just like as if you read my mind.