Pimprlas - turbo SNG blog

• Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!

My name is Martin, I am 31 from Slovakia and this is my first attempt to start a poker blog so please have patience with the content and my English grammar :)

First - something about how I got into poker...

It all started about 3 years ago in a pub :) We used to go there to drink some beer, play chess and have a good time... Then one day a friend of mine persuaded me to join a pub pokergame. It was 7 or 8 player sngo of NL Holdem with buy-in of about 5$. I was drunk enough to say OK and my friend quickly explained me the rules... Not surprisingly I was out of the first one in like 3 or 4 hands :) so I just drank more beer and watched the others play... The second sngo was no better - I was the first one out again - but improved to last for like 8 hands maybe :) In the 3rd one I was proud not to bust out first, but no money still... I dont know If I was lucky or the others got drunk more than me, but eventually I finished 2nd (and cashed!!! :) ) in the next one and won the last one! Oh - and I still remember check calling my flopped nut straight all the way till all the chips went in in the heads up :) That was when I got that feeling that maybe poker was a game of skill and that maybe I should give it a try...

In a couple of days a registered at AbsolutePoker but because I didnt trust all that online poker stuff i decided not to deposit any money and spent one long summer playing freerolls...

In two months time playing maybe for 3-4 hours a day and some 0.05$ - 0.20$ cashes I had my first bankroll of about 5$ (of course I didnt have any idea what BR management was) and I decided to risk 1/5 of it in a 1$ MTT... Maybe the pokergods felt sorry for a guy like me or something but I managed to win it and suddenly my BR was well over 100$.

I started playing 1$-5$ sngoes and did really well and in like 3 weeks I ran it up to about 700$. I clearly remember I felt like I must have been one of the best players in the world :) Of course that was a huge mistake :( Suddenly I was a 20$ "regular" and went busto in 2 weeks experiencing my first downswing and megadonkeytilt...

Now I was sure that online poker was one big hoax and I decided to never play again...

It took maybe six months and some TV poker commercials to bring me back...

I registered at ParadisePoker and after maybe 2 months of freerolling, building my BR to 10$ and then losing it all in 5 minutes in a cash game, I decided to deposit my own money - and because it was my own money I decided to take the game more seriously... In my freerolling era - I managed to finaltable and even win some 2000+ players MTTs so I thought that definitely that would be my game...

I deposited about 40$, started to read some articles (but not many really - cause I still had the feeling I understood the game) and went busto in like a month. I thought - OK - 40$ is not that much for a month (Usually 2 evenings out drinking at that time), so I deposited another 40$... Busto again but I held for 6 weeks maybe... So I decided to give it one last try not because of the money, but because losing felt so stupid...

In a couple of weeks I had my last 5$ in my bankroll and promised myself to never deposit again... :)

Maybe it were the pokergods feeling sorry for the fish or just a sick run but in no time I had more than 100$...

And that was when in my opinion I made one of the fundamental things a beginning player should do and its the reason why I feel grateful to every online poker blogger and want to give something back blogging and maybe inspiring and helping myself...

So the fundamental thing - after seeing people recommending it at many poker forums I decided to read my first poker book... And it was the bible of poker (IMO) "The theory of poker" by Mr. David Sklansky. I can still remember very clearly how I felt after reading only like 3-5 pages... I said to myself: "Oh maaan, everything you thought you knew about poker is worth almost nothing, and this book is pure gold page by page..."

As an active chess player I suddenly found a lot of similarities between poker and chess - maybe the most important ones (IMO) are:
      1. Its very easy to learn the rules of both games but it takes lifetime of constant study
      to master the game...
      2. Dont try to figure out the game on your own no matter how intelligent or talented you think you are if there is opportunity to gain knowledge from books written by masterminds of the game...

I can say that book changed my attitude to poker completely and the best thing was - it turned the fish I was into a winning player :)

There is much more I would like to share, but I think this might be enough for my first post, I hope it wasnt very tiring, and since this is my first blog and its for you guys - tell me what would you like me to post...
  • 23 replies
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      A couple of more days - maybe someone gets interested enough to reply :)
    • Paulique
      Paulique
      Hey, Martin) We've met on 11+1 6max turbo's on FTP. My nickname is same as here - paulique. I just started to play sngoes and I am interested in any in any information about it. I mentioned that you are a pretty tough player so I think sharing experience with you might be extremely useful.

Looking forward to see your answer.

P.S. Sorry for my English, by the way)
      P.S.S. ARGHHHH!!!! You just crushed my broadway with a AAA99 boat)
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I ve noticed you multitabling (not sure how many tables you play simultaneously 6 or more?) In my opinion maybe thats not the best way to start with sngoes. Maybe its better to start 4 or less to have more time to think about your decisions. Usually winning players multitable to increase their winning rate per hour, but the % of ROI gets lower - so your game is not that good but still you earn more...

And my another tip is to select your tables (to make notes on players - check their stats and mark them with colors) - there is no point to sit down at the table with 5 other winning players...

I look forward to hear from you,

Martin
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      This is my continuation post :)

So after studying poker a lot, I finally became a winning player and maybe after a year of grinding I found that I can earn more than in my job so 3 months ago I decided to give up my job (I was a teacher and teachers are not paid very well here in Slovakia :( ) and play full-time.

I hope to never have to return to regular job because its been beatiful 3 months so far, and that feeling of freedom is just great...

At the moment I am grinding (9-12 tabling) 11$ turbos at FTP, my overall stats at FTP look like this: Pimprlas1979 3,783 $2 $9 16% $5,906

My future goals are to keep grinding those 11$ for 1 or 2 more months - I would be very happy to get a volume of 2000 games / month, with occasional shots at 22$ and generally to do everything to improve my game and of course earn more money :)

So thats something more about me,

See you later
    • Paulique
      Paulique
      I was looking for my zone of comfort so I tried to play different numbers of tables at once. When I'm playin more than 6 tables at once, my ROI% decreases dramatically. So from now on I decided to play sng's in sets - 6 at once without opening new tables during such a set.

I am a member of russian community of this forum and I tried to find some VoDs, strategy articles etc., but couldn't find something really worth watching/reading.
      Can you advise me some materials in English?

Sincerely, Paulique.
    • Paulique
      Paulique
      I started as a MTT player long ago, had some great results, played NL SH for some period of time, but I always was interested in playing SNGs. So that's why I'm here).

By the way, my name is Pavlo (Paul), I'm from Kyiv, Ukraine. I'm 24. :)
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Hi,

I see you are an experienced player :) 6 tables seems like a good idea, I played 6 for a long time (no turbos) and its really comfortable... If I were you I would play 6 for a while and when you start feeling you have a lot of time and that its "slow" for you - add more tables.

I can recommend you 2 books (So far I havent read many pokerbooks (5 or 6 maybe) - and I know I should read much more :) ) - they are "Sitngo strategy" by Collin Moshman which I found really useful and "The Poker Mindset" by Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger - this one I think can give a lot to every poker player. Here is link of a review:

http://www.pokerjunkie.com/the-poker-mindset-by-ian-taylor-and-matthew-hilger-book-review

I know I have a lot to improve myself so if you find anything interesting about SNGs please let me know :)

Bye and good luck at the tables :)
    • Paulique
      Paulique
      Thanks, Martin!

See you at the tables and good luck!
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

It is time to update and let you know how things have been going...

So the 11$ 6-max turbos at FTP have been OK so far, despite the fact that i am used to ROI at about 17-18% at normal speed and as you can see it dropped to 10%. I think its because i started 9 and sometimes 12- table and my game is a little more automatic (no soulreads and stuff) So this is my first turbo sample:

1039 $1.14 10% $1,181.09 11.83

But as I said I am quite satisfied with the results so far (I am new at turbos after all), I hope to fix some leaks and maybe after getting used to 9-table (if u guys have any tips how to make multi-tabling easier let me know for sure :) ) maybe I can add 2-3%

The thing I am maybe most satisfied with is my discipline when playing - I really havent been tilting much and after reading "The Poker Mindset" I can switch from poker to normal life very comfortably even after sick sessions when u make no mistakes and your high pairs get crushed by Ax or lower pairs all the time...

With some discipline (its hard not to go out drinking when there are so many beatiful women in Slovakia) I hope to get a volume of 2000 games a month and together with rakeback make about 2500$ a month which is 3 times more than I used to make as a teacher...

So thats it for now,

Bye and may the variance be kind to you all :)
    • Paulique
      Paulique
      [quote][i]and may the variance be kind to you all :) [/quote]http://weaktight.com/2728424

:D :D :D :D :D
    • Paulique
      Paulique
      [quote][i]and may the variance be kind to you all :) [/quote]http://weaktight.com/2728424

:D :D :D :D :D
    • Paulique
      Paulique
      Today I've played 174 sngoes. 9% ROI. I am a complete freak :s_biggrin:
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Very nice Pavlo :)

I hope I helped u a bit...

Keep stacking :)
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      SICK :)
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      just a quick one - a little swingy in last couple of days so the current stats are

1423 $0.98 8% $1,391.09 $11.87

Hope that the variance will smile at me in no time need to get that ROI up... back to 9-tabling probably - sometimes 12-tabling is just too fast for me - maybe additional screen will solve this, I plan to buy one as soon as I move to a new flat with my friends...

But I managed to get some nice volume for last 3 days (90sngoes a day on avg), more than 120 today - i am exhausted

Later,
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Are you playing 9man turbos or 6-max? I might have seen you around on the $12 9-man turbo SnGs, i'm grinding them at the moment.

Good luck at the tables.
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Hi,

I play 6-max only... maybe I will give 9-man a try... Is there a big difference? (quality of players, how many regulars you usually meet at a table etc...) And does the push/fold phase start usually pretty soon? (I mean like with 5-6 players still remaining?
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Can I just say well done on your progress but I think your expectations are way way off.

The 8-10% roi you are getting right now will be about as high as you are going to get it over any decent sample size. Even someone who never makes any mistakes would only be pushing about 12% at the $10 level
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pimprlas
      Hi,

I play 6-max only... maybe I will give 9-man a try... Is there a big difference? (quality of players, how many regulars you usually meet at a table etc...) And does the push/fold phase start usually pretty soon? (I mean like with 5-6 players still remaining?
      I've never played 6-max so I can't really compare them. There are normally one or two regs at each table. When you start push/fold can vary wildly.. sometimes doesn't start til the bubble, sometimes 8-handed.