[NL2-NL10] NL 2 AdKd OOP

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain tells me he ships JJ on the river. Personally I dont believe that.

Would it have been better to block bet the river? By the river I had inflated the pot so large that I felt this would be too expensive.

I put my opponent on 55 - JJ, AK/AQ maybe QQ ( as I would expect a 4bet for KK/AA).

Since I 3 bet pre and had the initiative I decided to rep a big pair. IMO his river shove indicated he thought I was too strong to fold the river, so he might as well get all the money in the centre then.

Thoughts on how best to have played this postflop, pretty sure I went by the book pre..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($1.37)
      MP2 ($3.30)
      CO ($4.89)
      Button ($4.84)
      Hero (SB) ($4.04)
      BB ($1.68)
      UTG ($0.94)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K
      1 fold, MP1 calls $0.02, 1 fold, CO bets $0.08, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.24, 2 folds, CO calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.52) 8, 4, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, CO calls $0.25

Turn: ($1.02) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, CO calls $0.55

River: ($2.12) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.85 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $2.12 | Rake: $0.10
  • 5 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Most books say it's usually better to 3bet a tad bigger out of position preflop especially with the limper's money, so pump it up to $0.28 ;)

As played I'd check/fold and check/fold turn when deep against an unknown, the board is just too gross unless you know he's loose enough to call preflop with all sorts of broadway cards, in which case c-betting the flop regardless and giving up on the turn unimproved is usually better.

As played I don't mind blockbetting the river, stuff like 99-QQ/8x will end up calling a smallish bet most of the time.

As played after checking the river, if he's nuts he might be telling the truth, it's a credible hand for him to have if he has no idea why he's shoving the river. I'm not calling without reads tho. I'd consider calling if:

- I've seen him merging weirdly before

- I think he'd raise flushdraws/6x at some point earlier

In which case the numbers of very strong hands he can have drops considerably and it's actually possible he's shoving the river with 8x/99-QQ just because you checked it, because he wanted to or some other bad reason.

Hope it helps.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      So main thing is just to check/fold co-ordinated boards against unknowns OOP?

I guess if board were something like

7s-Jd-2c

we would be more inclined to c-bet even OOP?

Really helps, thanks.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by muel294
      I put my opponent on 55 - JJ, AK/AQ maybe QQ ( as I would expect a 4bet for KK/AA).
      And you fold????
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      I obviously thought I was beat if I fold the river. I didn't like stacking off with just top pair. Unless he's supremely confident he can induce a fold by shoving the river I'm still of the opinion that he has top pair beaten and thinks I will just pay him off on the river because I seemed so strong.

Although, thinking about it he probably put me on something like tens and took advantage of my weak check on the river.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by muel294
      So main thing is just to check/fold co-ordinated boards against unknowns OOP?

I guess if board were something like

7s-Jd-2c

we would be more inclined to c-bet even OOP?

Really helps, thanks.
      Basically when boards are very coordinated and hit calling ranges well, you'll often get peeled on the flop and have no idea what to do on most turn unless you improve. So you're throwing money at him with little fold equity, just to give up on the next street might of the time, which quite often is just not worth it.

So yes, just fire away at very dry boards and be careful with wet boards unless your opponent's calling range preflop is so wide that he always has enough whiffed cards to make a c-bet profitable (and even then if he's the type to not fold too much preflop you'll still get outplayed a bunch on later street just because he has position, even if you're better than him).

Hope it helps.