Blindbattle: Raise in Position

• AAFINgo
      first of all sorry for my english, i'm not a native speaker.

Last time in the FL Sh Coaching, there was a quite interesting Spot.

Known players:
      Hero is BB
      SB = TAG

1/2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:h7
      4 folds, SB raises, Hero calls.

Flop: (4,00 SB) 4, 9, 9 (2 players)
      CO bets, Hero raises, ...

Final Pot: 4,00 BB

This hand is only an example for this move.

At this time, i'm not quite sure about this move.

My thoughts about it:

=> Balancing/exploiting
      => max value

The board is very dry, so our in position raise looks weak.
      With 4X we got most often the best hand. So why we dont call the Flop and raise the Turn or play call Turn raise River (depends on turn and rivercard).
      Same like 9X. 9X is very rar in this Spot so that the Villain will calldown most often. With an in position raise we loose value against it.
      It is hard to describe, but i think it collides with our other lines, which are balanced. in my opinion, if we want to use this move, the value from bluffs has to balance the loose of value from good hands in this spot.

So my questions are:

- which are the situations where such a move is possible ?
      - is this really common on 3/6+ so that i have to use it too ?
      - How does the balancing work here (how is it balanced)?
  • 1 reply
    • Boomer2k10
      Paired boards are one of the situations where many players are unbalanced.

On a board like this we most likely wouldn have re-raised preflop with a Pocket Pair we want to raise on the flop and we wold probably prefer to call with 4's so we're not really representing much.

Our hand isn't too bad vs a wide preflop range. We have pair outs which are ok, a backdoor flush draw and a backdoor straight draw so we do have some thoughts to continuing.

However on a board like this I may prefer a call and then raise on a turn which helps us (i.e. any pair, any card which gives us a draw) to balance the time's we're peeling as he is more than likely going to 2-barrel almost 100% of the time with any 2 he's raising pre.

To answer your questions:

1) Dry board bluffs are better when there's something you can really represent out there, like an Ace/King and there are not a lot of draws but there are enough value hands you'd raise that your range doesn't look wierd. You also have to take into account what your BB calling range is. Do you call 100% HU outside the blinds? Do you x/r low Aces when you hit them etc?

2) You will see more aggressive actions at 3/6 etc but that doesn't necessarily mean they're that good/you have to do them too. But if you do see this play from someone, let's say you have a hand like K4s here and call down and see a bluff, then you can then think about maybe floating and raising turns or 3-betting as a re-bluff as his range simply doesn't have enough value hands.

3) re: balancing in this spot, I'd probably call everything I wanted to continue with on this board as there's so much in the way of peels in my range. This will mean I can more take advatnage when in position and my opponent bascially has no further knowledge going into the turn

Don't overdo it though, balancing for the sake of it is more than often suboptimal. If the guy isn't reading into your range then you can take far more exploitable/explitating lines.