[NL2-NL10] NL10, 22 against nit

• Pichux
      ***** Hand History for Game 2440714775 ***** (IPoker)
      $10.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Wednesday, September 22, 01:18:49 ET 2010
      Table Futi (Real Money)
      Seat 8 is the button
      Seat 1: arvo86 ( $6.02 USD )
      Seat 3: eSbadguy ( $12.88 USD )
      Seat 5: NotAPennyMore ( $17.41 USD )
      Seat 6: Orbico ( $9.86 USD )
      Seat 8: jennybabyx ( $10.88 USD )
      Seat 10: Piters1990 ( $10.30 USD )
      Piters1990 posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
      arvo86 posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Piters1990 [ 2 :spade: 2 :diamond: ]
      eSbadguy folds
      NotAPennyMore folds
      Orbico folds
      jennybabyx raises [$0.35 USD]
      Piters1990 calls [$0.30 USD]
      arvo86 folds
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 5 :club: , 8 :club: , 6 :diamond: ]
      Piters1990 checks
      jennybabyx checks
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 8 :spade: ]
      Piters1990 checks
      jennybabyx bets [$0.60 USD]
      Piters1990 raises [$1.60 USD]
      jennybabyx calls [$1.00 USD]
      ** Dealing River ** [ A :diamond: ]
      Piters1990 checks

Villain: 14/12/1.0 on 122h sample.

Calling for set value, missed the set as ussual. I thought about donking the flop, because for such a nitty player i think it is scary enough to fold some hands. When he checked back, my plan was, either i get a cheap showdown to see his A-high here, or to check/raise, to get as much fold-equity as possible. Well, that didn't worked out and i suppose that we are left with no other choise then to give up on that river.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I don't mind donking out on the flop if he's nitty it's ok, tho we usually do try and donk out with hands that have more equity than 22 against a standard calling range, like some overcards or a gutshot at least, 22 is just 2-outing if calling quite often and it's a pain to play out of position against anybody who's capable of betting later streets with a wide range.

After he checks back the flop I usually just stab at the turn and if called decide on whether or not to fire again depending on how scary the river card is. Since he would probably still c-bet overpairs and good pairs on the river, the range we're donking into on the turn after he checks back the flop is usually weaker than his overall range on the flop.

As played I don't really like the check/raise without follow-up, I just don't think he's making a delayed c-bet with pure air that often if he's nitty, I'd say at worst he has some 77/6x that is now trying to valuebet/protect after being a bit reassured by you checking twice. Also our line looks really odd for a strong hand. Since I wouldn't put it past him to check back 8x on the flop either and he bet so big on the turn, I'd rather just fold since our equity against everything sucks so much anyway. I'll just make a note of his delayed c-bet and look for a pattern/test him out with other lines in the future, hopefully with hands that have more equity in the pot.

If you really want to check/raise, bet the river overcard (doubt he bet/calls the turn with many Ax hands unless he rivered two pairs exactly) and see what happens. Since he's a nit the simple fact of seeing you shovel money in the pot might be enough to make him forget hand reading and just fold weakish stuff when in doubt even if your line looks full of shit.

Hope it helps.