How to set mindset ready for poker, when to end session?

• Moerto
      Moerto
      Bronze
      Hi guys, i have some questions and i would like to hear opinion from you.
      1)When you start session does it take you a time warm up or you just like that you start to play your best from beginning? It's just that i've noticed that like first 30min-1h i just play so bad, then i kinda make my brain "think poker" and everything is cool.
      2) How to know when to end session? It is so hard for me to end session, if im up a lot i want more, if i'm down i want to get my dough back, usually i play 6-12h (offcourse not every day), everything would be fine if i would'nt play last hours of my sessions SO BAD, at that moment it feels like i'm just getting unlucky but when i look at some hands next day there is only one thing in my mind "Who the f*** is this crazy idiot playing with my nickname".
      Thank you.
  • 8 replies
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      1) Same here, usually takes some time to get in the zone.
      2) I end either when I hit 2K hands/day / get back to back sick bad beats / feel that continuing to play is just not a good idea.
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      As much as i understand, you play CG's. It should be different for MT Sngs, dunno. But for me at the start it's kinda easy to get going, cause in early stages there are not much of play involded, so i don't do a lot stupid things. With finishing, i just have some number of tables to play, like 50/70/100/150. So, for cash i'd recommend setting hands or time limit.
    • royalbulet
      royalbulet
      Bronze
      well
      1)
      I start usually with SnG , play about 2-3 sessions of 4. Then i play what i originally wanted ( a tournamen , etc etc )
      I discovered that i play wayyyy batter with an episode of Stargate SG-1 in the background. I just put like 10 episodes in the player and let it play till the end with the poker tables on top.
      I actually don't pay attention to the table i just made a decision in. This helps me not go on tilt. ( check out chenny's video : Table ninja. - it's gonna help you alot )
      2)
      Well i usually end the session after i loose more than 5 SnG's in a row , i mean when i get 0 profit . not even 3rd place ( play 10 man sng )
      After tournaments i dont end the session since i play max 2 tournaments with low buy in so it's ok.

Hope this matter a bit :)
      Regards,
      Bulet
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      What does "playing bad" mean? Explain.

A leak might be you're probably eager to play, so don't stick to a decent hand range or just play OOP because you like a hand.

About finishing the session I really don't know, I leave the table as soon as the :f_cry: is crying and leaves and try another table. If I get some bad beats I end the session unless I have some good other tables going or it's just a suckout and I can get my money back.

If you want to warm up try the ICM, it's free play and you get to see some hands ( I know it doesn't apply to cash games, but it might get you into the poker mindset ).
      Bronze
      For me the best method was fluid structure.

Almost an oxymoron but hear me out.

When I was playing Cash Games, I would schedule 3 sessions of play a day at 2 hours per session.

Thats the structure.

The fluidity comes from when. That brings your first part of your issue into play. I have a whole day to
      fit in 3 sessions of 2 hours. This means that I don't wake up and start playing before I can even see properly
      yet. It is best to wake up eat breakfast relax a bit and start thinking about your game before you play it.

Then like suggested above, You can read the hand evaluation sections on poker strategy to get your brain
      recognizing spots and start thinking of how you would react to them or practice with ICM trainer but for a CG
      player IDK if you would want to.

Then when you are feeling up to it and ready you sit down and play. No matter what happens to you
      though you click off autopost blinds on all your tables and leavewith your UTG hand being your last
      once the 2 hour mark hits.

A time limit will really help you to walk away from the tables once you have been sitting down too long.

The optimal play time may be different for different people but you can set your blocks shorter or longer
      as you see fit. Start shorter like 1 to 1.5 hours for your sessions at first and then increase them if you
      do not find yourself playing spewy after that time period.

Hope this helps.
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      I have a range that i would have vs people whom i have no history against , i read through that and take a look at a few hand histories before i start the game , it helps me in thinking right from the very start.

i play within my roll and don't monitor my balance . This is so that i am focused on making the best decisions based on my opponent's tendencies.

i make sure my human needs are satisfied too.
      that means no Hunger , comfortable seating position ( resting the wrist whenever possible) i have 7 hours of sleep the night before and not mentally distracted.

i tend to play cash games for like 2 hour session. thats my exit criteria

I do have a tilt induced kill switch in the form of 3BI downswing / badbeat twice in a row n i will quit to take a break. hard to admit but it tilts me and makes me do things beyond what i normally do.
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      Oh and the reason i pause every 2 hours is to examine the hands that i lose $$ / marked for review , that i can post HH n think about how i can better play that hand. Then i start another session.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well it depends on a player but a 12 hour session seems kinda long. Personally i prefer 1-2hour sessions and then take at least a 10minute break. How many session i play mostly depends on my mood and i generally don't stop if im down a few stacks, but i mostly stick to BRM.

I also play a bit tighter for first 30 hands or so in case there's a few players i don't have any stats on to get at least somewhat of and idea of how they're playing.

Also i tend to try not to play when im drunk hungover or tired for any other reason.