Woot! First ever SNG real-money win

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      First ever SNG real-money tournament even.

I was home sick today, so read the SNG articles and went through the ICM trainer.

Then tonight, I played an $1 + .20 18 player and danged if I didn't win.

I deviated from "the book" only once (that I'm aware of). I had KQs in CO. I got a Kxx flop, so did a c-bet (not in strategy at all ???) and got re-raised by someone who had limped in from MP. I figured him for Kx so re-raised, and he went all in and I called (I had bigger stack). In fact he had QQ, so I got really lucky. Why on earth he limped I'll never know.

OTOH had he raised "properly" I would likely have folded, so it really was a lesson in why you should raise "by the book". w/o reading the SNG articles, I may have played like that.

A couple of times it was real hard to fold "good" hands, but my only purpose of playing the tournament was to practice the strategy, so I bit my tongue and folded.

Nice to start w/ a win.

--Vorpal
  • 6 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Congratulations!

By the way, ICM Trainer is designed to help with 9-player SNGs. If you play multitable SNGs, you will encounter different payout structures, so you might be more risk-averse with 5 or more players left, and less risk-averse with 4 players left.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze

You are overdoing it, coach :f_biggrin:
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      :D
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In the SNG articles I had read before they had all mentioned being "on the bubble" when there was 1 more player left than there were payout positions.

In this case I was already the biggest stack when there were 5 players left, so as long as I didn't get *too* stupid, I knew I would be ITM. I did notice, though, how tight everyone became at that point.

Also, I moved to middle phase strategy when I had around triple the original stack, even though I still had more than 24BB.

I looked back over the hand histories, and I did notice another mistake. I raised too much too soon post flop w/ pocket AA, and so didn't collect much. OTOH, I didn't lose anything by getting sucked out on the T or R either :)

--Vorpal
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      :D
      Congratz!
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof

You are overdoing it, coach :f_biggrin:
      LOL. More edits than an entry in my blog :f_biggrin: