2 random questions

• goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      1: Is there an easy way to work out with what range you can resteal after approximating villain's openraising and calling off range? I am trying some regular speed SNGs and resteals seem quite important to mastering them.

2: What do people think about isolating obvious fish in SNGs, like we would do in a cash game? Obviously not with complete trash, but hands like KTs etc
      Somehow it feels weird to sit back and fold every hand when there are people just looking to give their money away in the early stages.
  • 2 replies
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      1: SnG Wizzard does that. But it's only for push or fold...

2: I do it in the first 2 levels from late position. I'd start with KJs. It's pretty marginal. It's hard to pot control and be able to call the river with a middle pair when you have < 50 BB.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I agree with santostr.

Resteals all-in are complicated because you have to set two ranges for your opponent, but it is valuable to play well at this stage of the game. SNG Wizard can be helpful.

One common situation is much simpler: You are in the big blind, and the small blind is making small raises every time it is folded to him. Then you can view his raises as a larger blind, and you can resteal as though you were pushing from the small blind. For example, if you have a 1500 stack, and the small blind minraises to 200 with a 100% range, then you can resteal as though you are open-pushing with a big blind of 200 for 7.5 bb. Actually, many players will call with a much tighter range when you make one of these resteals than they would against a SB open push. The reason they are opening 100% is that they expect that you will resteal with a tight range.

I definitely like isolating bad players in early levels. Players who are new to poker should play tightly in early levels of SNGs, but if you know how to play postflop then you don't have to play so tightly, and that means you can isolate bad limpers with a lot of hands, even some which are behind the limper's range, since you have position and an information advantage. You can't isolate as widely as you could in a cash game because the stacks are shorter, which decreases the value of a positional advantage, but you can even isolate with hands like 98s. Your plan is to get the limper to fold his K7s preflop or when he misses the flop, and to have some equity when a flop cbet is called. I don't recommend that play for a poker novice, but if you are a winning cash game player then you should find plays like that profitable, not just in chips but in ICM equity. Taking more chips from bad players in early level sets up more good situations near the bubble where you have the chip lead, and results in many more first place finishes.