[NL2-NL10] KJ deep stacked

• gutshotstraightdraw
      gutshotstraightdraw
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)  
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $161.86
      Hero:
      $91.62
      BB:
      $35.33

0.25/0.50 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:diamond: , K:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, SB raises to $6.00, BB calls $5.50, Hero calls $4.00.

Call ok? We are both deep stacked...

Flop: ($18.00) K:diamond: , J:spade: , 9:heart: (3 players)
      SB bets $10, BB folds, Hero raises to $30.00, SB folds.

Final Pot: $58.00
  • 4 replies
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Since SB seems pretty tight PF I'd fold unless there was some reason to think that he might be re-raising light.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi gutshotstraightdraw!

I think the preflopcall is fine because also the BB calls and you are getting great odds. In addition you have huge implied odds and are in position. If you flop two pair like in this case you have a good chance to stack him. Nice hand!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      If hero was playing a mid-SC or a small PP then he has an easy call since we have the odds AND they are much more easily played post-flop.

Without any read beyond the stats though SB's range (eg.JJ+,AK) is just too likely to have hero dominated. There are many situations when hero will have impossibly difficult decisions to make post-flop. Even when hero does out-flop villain he will mostly only be winning a smallish pot.

Chances of flopping two-pair using both hole-cards is about 50:1. In reality because of card removal effects it is even less likely here.

IMO, most of our value here are the excellent implied odds offered if we can get lucky enought to make a straight at some point in the hand. I doubt if these possibilities make up for all the difficult sitations that we wind up in though.

Mind you it could be my selective memory since I can remember a very similar hand in a tournament I played about a year ago. The stacks were not so deep (about 100ish BB's I think). The button (holding KJ) open raised and I re-raised from the SB holding KK. The flop came K-J-x , my conti-bet was raised and my 3betAI called with villain drawing to running jacks. He missed. :D

My 2c.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Your example is an extreme example and a setup which noone can avoid. You are definitely getting the odds to call with KJ. The pot is $14.25 and you hav eto call $4 which are huge odds plus the implied odds. You can flop two pair, trips or a straight. If you just flop a K, you have to play it carefully.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81